We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning our family's first trip to Yellowstone

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Topic
Help planning our family's first trip to Yellowstone

Our family of 4 are planning our first trip to Yellowstone the first week of September. We will in the park starting September 1st and leaving September 6th. We are planning to fly in and out of Bozeman but are flexible on this. Due to limited availability, we are left with a two-room cabin w/o bathroom ensuite at Mammonth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabin which I have booked. As background, I am 30 years old, my sister is 21, and parents are in their early 60s and moderately active.

Our can't miss places are Lamar Valley, the Canyons, and Old Faithful. I know these places are spread throughout the park. Is it feasible to go to all these places with a base at Mammonth or should I be persistent in trying to get a room at Old Faithful Inn for part of the trip? We want to minimize driving time as much as possible but I wouldn't mind driving 3-4 hours roundtrip one or two days of our trip, at most.

Also, has anyone stayed at the two-room cabin at Mammonth? If so, what was your experience like?

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning our family's first trip to Yellowstone

Yes be persistent about looking for reservations at Old Faithful. We came last September and got some lodging in Feb. and the rest in June.

I would try to book at Old Faithful and Lake. That would cut down on your driving times. There are over 300 miles of paved roads in the park.

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help planning our family's first trip to Yellowstone

Thanks for your input, PeachBelle. I called back and changed our lodging arrangements to the following: Sept 1-2: Mammonth; Sept. 3-5th: Grant Village. We are now planning to fly into Bozeman and out of Jackson. Here's my tentative itinerary:

Sept 1: Fly into Bozeman arriving around 11 a.m., get food and supplies, drive to Mammonth and check in.

Sept 2: Explore Lamar Valley. Stay at Mammonth.

Sept. 3: Drive to Grant Village on the eastern side of the loop and see the Canyons on the way; stay at Grant Village.

Sept. 4: Drive to Old faithful and explore surrounding areas; stay at Grant Village.

Sept. 5: Check out of Grant Village; drive through Grand Teton; stay in Jackson.

Sept. 6: Fly home from Jackson.

Question: Should we fly into Bozeman on August 31st instead of Sept. 1 to give ourselves more time in the Mammonth area? In other words, if we arrive in Bozeman on August 31st, we can get our food and supplies and stay overnight in Bozeman, and get an early start to Mammonth and have most of Sept 1st in the park.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help planning our family's first trip to Yellowstone

<< should I be persistent in trying to get a room at Old Faithful Inn for part of the trip? >>

Yes. Grant is closer to OF than Mammoth is, but staying at OF would be a much better way to explore the geothermal areaqs of the park. It's just aout an hour from Grant to OF, and remember that you don't want to be driving after dark for reasons of safety.

ENJOY!

4. Re: Help planning our family's first trip to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16