We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Spray Question

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Bear Spray Question

We are traveling as a family of 3. 2 adults and one small child. No real hiking, perhaps some exploring along boardwalks or the short hike up to the waterfall in Grand Teton at Jenny Lake via boat ride, but nothing extreme and we will always stick together. We have one can of bear spray. Do we really need one can per person if we stick together and are in populated areas?

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
704 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Spray Question

Are you going to all go to the backwoods bathroom all together all the time?

Only you can decide how or how not to mitigate your risks.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Spray Question

I am a city girl. There will be no backwoods bathrooms for me. If we are that far away from the bathrooms, we have bigger problems! Haha. We will be camping in our RV.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Spray Question

I guess I am asking more like...ya know how the more people you take out hiking, the more oz of water you need to carry...is that the same for bear spray? Does 3 bodies require more cans of bear spray than a single person? Obviously, if we were going to separate 2 cans would be necessary.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear Spray Question

My family of 3 while in Glacier will carry 1 if we are all together, two if we split up.

Walker, Minnesota
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear Spray Question

One thought about bear spray. Its like having home, auto and health insurance. You hope you never have to use it, but if you do your glad you have it. If you encounter a charging bear and panic and spray too early to stop the bear, you'd be forever glad you had another one.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear Spray Question

Good point hondo69!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bear Spray Question

If you are bear-aware and can use the bear spray competently and don't split up, one should do. If you cannot use it competently, a wheelbarrow full of bear spray cannisters won't be enough. ENJOY!

8. Re: Bear Spray Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 06:16