We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beartooth in June

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Beartooth in June

Im passing through the whole length of Beartooth this mid June en-route to Billings.

If its closed due to snow, i assume Chief Joseph Hwy will be open fully since ive noticed that to has a high level pass about midway.

Regards.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beartooth in June

If snow were to close the Beartooth Highway, figure the Chief Joseph Highway is just as likely to be closed, too.

ENJOY!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beartooth in June

I've driven over the Chief Joseph Highway many times when the Beartooth Pass has been closed. It is kept opened because there are a lot of people that live on the road. There aren't any people living on top of Beartooth Pass. That being said you should check the road conditions of both the Beartooth Pass and the Chief Joseph Highway before you set out from Billings.

http://www.wyoroad.info/

Montana's Road Information website:

http://mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/

Deb

Edited: 01 May 2014, 04:34
Dalton, Ohio
Level Contributor
43 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beartooth in June

We are traveling through the beginning of June. So the Beartooth could potentially be closed at this time? I am kind of nervous that this might be an issue for us also. Would there be any other good alternative routes to get to Little Bighorn if Beartooth is closed?

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beartooth in June

Bbear44 - almost exactly the same reasoning for me.

I swapped Cody for a night at Billings to make the best of Beartooth throughout its length but also so i can get to Little Bighorn the following morning.

Will make for an annoying route if both somehow close...fingers crossed!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beartooth in June

Have you seen these videos of the snow plow crews? Watch from the first day in April when the crew takes snowmobiles to the top to check out the conditions.

beartoothhighway.com/beartooth-highway-snowp…

Pam

6. Re: Beartooth in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:16