We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to plan Yellowstone trip

San Jose, California
1 post
Save Topic
Need help to plan Yellowstone trip

Hi, my husband gave me a short notice and wants to visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton this mid July. I have been researching from the web for the past 2 days but finding myself a little more confused as I read. I will really appreciate any helpful guidance and suggestions you can give me.

It will be me, my husband, our 15 year old son planning on a 10 days trip in mid July. We will fly out from either San Jose or San Francisco. (Not sure if we should fly to SLC or Jackson, any suggestion?) and I was told that we should depart from a different city in order to be more cost effective and avoid back tracking.

on top of seeing the geysers, canyons, Lamar,waterfalls,etc, my husband and my son want to do some water activities in Grand Teton. I would love any guidance on planning the itinerary, lodging and route to take and activities we can do in GT.

Since it is pretty late to reserve the lodging inside Yellowstone now, where will be a good choice for out of the park lodging?

Your suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,765 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help to plan Yellowstone trip

SLC is usually less expensive in terms of airfare and car rental. Also check on Bozeman, Idaho Falls, West Yellowstone and Billings. Flying in and out of different airports means very expensive one way car rental fees usually so check on that before you book airfare.

With 10 days I would do this-

4-5 days in Yellowstone- keep checking daily for in park lodging if no in park then check West Yellowstone or Gardiner- here is link to some of the sights in the park-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

1-2 days in Cody- rodeo and Buffalo Bill museums

2-3 days in Grand Tetons- can stay in the park or in Jackson Hole- for water activities we like Barker Ewing- they do both whitewater and scenic float trips

Hope this info gets you started with your planning!!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help to plan Yellowstone trip

<< I was told that we should depart from a different city in order to be more cost effective and avoid back tracking. >>

You may have misunderstood that. The charge for picking up your rental car at one place and dropping it elsewhere is not cost effective.

Step #1 would be securing your lodging inside the parks. Then you know where to fly into and out of. Bozeman is the choice most often if you start and finish your trip in YNP, Jackson if you start and finish your trip in GTNP. With ten days, you can start and finish your trip at one park, with a visit to the other one in between. Two or even three lodging locations in YNP would cut down on "backtracking," and allow you to touch on most of the highlights. Signal Mountain or Colter Bay in GTNP could be good choices.

You want to be done driving before dark, for safety reasons.

ENJOY!

Edited: 02 May 2014, 16:09
3. Re: Need help to plan Yellowstone trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 06:15