We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wolf-friendly horseback riding company

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
778 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
wolf-friendly horseback riding company

Considering the feelings of many ranchers in the area regarding wolves (and my love of wolves)-I would hate to be stuck on a half or full day ride through a ranch that hates them (nor would I want to give them my money). Could someone recommend any companies that they may have experienced who are definitely not anti-wolf? I almost booked a cabin this past winter only to find links to photos of guys holding dead wolves so I now try to be careful who I give my business to. I am maybe looking for a ride next weekend but this is mostly me thinking for summer-in the mountains not along pasture trails-half or full day ride (no 2 hour one) and it can be anywhere in or along the parks boundaries. The wolves and I thank you :)

Elephant Back Mountain
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
Mount Washburn
Mountains, National Parks
Old Gardiner Road
Mountains, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: wolf-friendly horseback riding company

Any outfitter that has hunting as part of their operation is generally going to be anti-wolf. However you will find that despite stereotypes many of these folks are as knowledgeable and considerate of the natural world as any "wolf lover." Attitudes are also moderating, mine among them. IMO you will also find that of the "pro" wolf outfitters out there some of them are just as polarized as the most rabid wolf haters and also have a somewhat warped sense of what the ecosystem should be, and may have next to no experience in the area.

If you are looking to take a summer horse packtrip into the wilderness for a few nights be just as careful choosing where you go as who you go with. I do not know the Northern part of the ecosystem that well or what outfitters are good or bad. I do however know many outfitters that have been on the southern end of the ecosystem for generations. My family doesn't do many wilderness packtrips anymore so I couldn't recomend them even if that weren't unethical and a violation of the terms of service. So I'll recommend these folks:

Dubois, WY Area: CM Ranch

Jackson, WY Area: Triangle X Ranch

I would look into adult/family programs at NOLS and Teton Valley Ranch as well.

Mentioned in this post
Triangle X Ranch
Triangle X Ranch
112 Reviews
Moose, WY
Dubois
Dubois
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wolf-friendly horseback riding company

Have you looked at the horse back rides IN the park, such as at Canyon or Roosevelt? I'm not sure how long their rides are, but I suspect they would have their heads on straight about wolves.

ENJOY!

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
778 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wolf-friendly horseback riding company

The Xanterra ones seem to only be 1 and 2 hour rides. I was surprised they did not have a half or full day option.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wolf-friendly horseback riding company

You're not likely to find anything available next weekend. But for this summer, I'd go with a park concession, rather than an outfitter who is involved in hunting, or running cattle or sheep on a ranch, and may have strong opinions about wolf predation. I don't see how this issue would come during a horseback ride, but that's up to you.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wolf-friendly horseback riding company

I can't say for sure, but I believe that there are a handful of operators in the West Yellowstone/Big Sky area that are running horseback riding trips (not in the park - was that necessary?) that are in it for family tourism and not ranching or hunting trips. Maybe the West Yellowstone Chamber could help: http://destinationyellowstone.com/node/1869

Mentioned in this post
Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wolf-friendly horseback riding company

Update: I asked a couple of friends in Gardner, and interestingly enough they both had the same recommendation: Kip Saile, Rockin HK Outfitters, in Paradise Valley. 406-333-4505

ENJOY!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wolf-friendly horseback riding company

Another friend told me this: "Yellowstone Wilderness Outfitters is owned by a guy named Jett and they are fantastic!"

ENJOY!

8. Re: wolf-friendly horseback riding company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:17