We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mid-June

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Topic
Short trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mid-June

Hi all,

Happy to find this forum.

I loved Yellowstone so much when I visited in 1987 as a grad student, I am excited to be on

this short trip, with my wife, son and daughter. The only open slot among the 4 of us

happens to be this narrow window of 5 days. Didn't plan in advance, not much choice for cheap airline/in-park hotels.

** I have not yet booked accommodations.**

What do you think of this plan:

Day 1 : Fly into Idaho Falls around 11 AM, rent car and drive to Jackson, stay night in Jackson?

- We should reach by 1:30/2 PM or so, can we do something that day?

Day 2 : Grand Tetons day, return back to Jackson to stay for the night?

- Jenny lake, short hike

Day 3 : Enter Yellowstone via south entrance

- west thumb, bridge bay, lake village up to sulfur cauldron, turn back towards old faithful, exit via west entrance and stay in West Yellowstone

Day 4 : Enter via west entrance, Madison, Norris, mammoth, tower Roosevelt, canyon village, back out via Norris, Madison and back to West Yellowstone, stay in West Yellowstone

Day 5 : Fly out of Idaho falls 1 PM, plenty of time to reach the airport and return the car

Thank you.

-CT

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mid-June

I think with your short time frame your spacing should work. West Yellowstone will position you well for Idaho Falls. It's about 2 hours.

I am guessing with the kids you don't want to have to change hotels in Yellowstone thus the 2 nights in West Yellowstone, and that's OK if that is what will work best for you all.

Frankly, I would restructure your days a little. I think you are not realistically going to be able to pack in all the sights you have listed for both days in Yellowstone.

-For your Day 3 I would enter the south entrance. Skip West Thumb. Drive directly to Old Faithful. Do the Upper Geyser Basin and work your way back to Madison thru the other basins/scenic drives on your way to West Yellowstone. Have ice cream on the 2nd floor deck of the Old Faithful Inn (get ice cream on the 1st floor and carry it upstairs.) overlooking the geyser basin when people start to flag. It is great to catch an OF eruption from here.

-Day 4 I would enter the West gate, drive to Canyon Visitor Center. Do the South Rim overlooks (1st and 3rd ones skipping Uncle Toms Stairs unless you are highly motivated, lol). Continue south thru Hayden Valley looking for wildlife, do Mud Volcano and Sulphur Cauldron, walk across Fishing Bridge, take a look at Bridge Bay/Lake as you have that listed then head back to Canyon. Turn in to the North Rim drive and do some of the overlooks here. This drive winds up back at the Visitor Center. Pop in for a break with flush toilets and running water. Head back toward Norris. Stop here if people have the time and energy. Stop at Artist Paint Pots, again if people are not pooped. Head out to West Yellowstone.

This does not get you around the Upper Loop, but really, you would need another day to fit that in.

Pam

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mid-June

Thank you.

I just lucked out on lodging at Grant Village Lodge on 13th night. Thinking either 1) finish Grand Tetons on 13th and drive up inside the park and stay the night

OR

2) take in the Tetons on the way back on the 4th day, end up in Jackson for that night accommodations.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mid-June

OK, slightly confused. Is the 13th your day 2? So you would tour the Tetons during the day and get to Grant before dark? (No driving at night...too many animals on the road.)

You could just as easily enter Yellowstone first thru the West gate, tour there and spend your night 4 in Jackson. I would not recommend staying at Grant for your first night if you come in thru the West gate. It puts you really south of what you want to see. In my opinion, you would be better off staying in West Yellowstone, Old Faithful or Canyon.

Pam

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mid-June

Sorry 13 June - Day 1

Thanks D0bby for your advise, let me rethink this, may be I head to Yellowstone first and 4th day early AM

head out to Tetons, spend the day, then stay in Jackson for the night.

That gives me about 1/2 day on Day 1 to see some sights within the park before heading back to West yellowstone for the first night.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mid-June

Yes, you would have about half a day in either location on that first day.

Pam

6. Re: Short trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons mid-June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 07:16