We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to miss beartooth or not

Danvers...
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
to miss beartooth or not

I have vouchers for southwest that will let us fly RT free from boston

to SLC. my plan had been to fly into JAC and out of billings and do the

beartooth hwy. those airports are not covered by southwest and will cost us

I hate to miss beartooth but free is free. any thoughts?

also, our last night is at lake yellowstone. we will have to drive back to slc.

what is a good halfway point?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,620 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to miss beartooth or not

Free is free. $1200 is $1200. Save Beartooth til your next visit...and I can almost guarantee you will be back!

What time does your flight leave SLC?

If you are traveling from Lake out the West entrance to I15, Idaho Falls is probably half way, based on time but not mileage. It's 56 miles/about 2 hours from Lake to West Yellowstone via Norris. (68 miles/2h15m via Old Faithful) Then it is about 2 hours from West Yellowstone to Idaho Falls. That leaves you 3.5 or so hours from Idaho Falls to SLC.

Pam

Dalton, Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to miss beartooth or not

Depending on when you go, you may run into the issue of a snow storm and the Beartooth Highway being completely closed. That is the dilemma we are facing for our trip in early June

3. Re: to miss beartooth or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 July 2016, 22:42
Danvers...
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to miss beartooth or not

thanks y stoner. I never thought of that. we are 2 night in OF, mammoth and lake yellowstone.

maybe we can do beartooth on one of our mammoth days.

I think we can see mammoth in less time.

5. Re: to miss beartooth or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 July 2016, 22:43
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: to miss beartooth or not

Another great place for breakfast after wildlife hunting in Lamar valley is the Log Cabin Cafe in Silver Gate out the northeast entrance:

http://www.thelogcabincafe.com/eat

Huge, fantastic breakfasts as well as delicious pumpkin bread!

Take a picnic lunch for up on the Beartooth.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 15:34
La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
534 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: to miss beartooth or not

I don't think I'd stop between Yellowstone, (not sure which part of the park) and SLC. If you are ending at OF, exiting to West Yellowstone and catching the 15S will be pretty direct.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: to miss beartooth or not

Im not getting this...why do you have to miss beartooth?????

You plan an itinerary to do it. One day you drive to Cody, see some stuff there then spend the night in Red Lodge (45 min from cody) then in the AM drive beartooth back intot he park.

Danvers...
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: to miss beartooth or not

our plan was flying into JAC, 2 nights at GTNP, 2 at OF , 2 at mammoth and ending with 2

at lake yellowstone.

I had planned on leaving via beartooth and flying home from billings.

now we will drop a night in GTNP and try to do RT into SLC.

I will try and do beartooth from mammoth

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
720 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: to miss beartooth or not

Depending on your flight times, you may not need to change anything. You can drive from SLC to Jackson on Day 1 which is 5-5 1/2 hours. Or, you could stay the fist night in GT and the last night in Gt, still giving you 2 nights there, just not together. Leave Lake Yellowstone and drive south through Jackson again instead of through Idaho Falls.

Oh, and car rentals in SLC through Hertz are amazingly good right now with a AAA discount. Use the AAA code and then also use the 20% off at airports coupon for AAA holders. That coupon is good through the end of July

Edited: 07 May 2014, 22:18