We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

From the Canyon lodges (we've requested Dunraven), are we going to be able to walk to the Canyon Dining room, cafeteria or general store for our meals?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

Sure about 1/4 a mile or less. Make sure you bring flashlight if you go for dinner, it does get dark and make noise as you walk, bears, elk, deer etc in the area, don't want to surprise them. Just as easy to drive too.

2. Re: Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 July 2016, 22:41
Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

Great, thank you!

Dana

Saint James, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

Yes, it is an easy walk.

Don't forget the bear spray to go along with your flashlight.

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

We need bear spray to walk from the lodge to the dining room?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

Yes, there can be bear around the lodging areas so you should carry it. If you have concerns, talk with the Rangers at the Visitor Center.

I also stumbled on another map of the area on the Xanterra site. Scroll down to lodging maps and then Canyon.

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/things-to-…

Pam

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

... and Bison. Bison "could be" meandering through the area at any time or found at your doorstep in the morning... as was the case with one of my sons and me. Another walked by, and rubbed against, a public phone booth (remember them?) while same son talking to his grandmother. A herd can be found wandering the road and meadows leading toward Canyon Village early evening/night. A reason not to drive, if possible, after dark. Enjoy!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

This is a pic of the legendary Scarface right before he crossed the road across from the Canyon cabins in June 2011. After he crossed the road he walked behind the cabins. Bears can be anywhere in Yellowstone Park. You always need to be aware of your surroundings.

…photobucket.com/albums/…597.jpg

Deb

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

Awesome photo! Can't wait for our visit next year. We've seen black bears in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but hoping to spot a grizzly in YNP.

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canyon Lodge - can we walk to dining?

Wow, Deb, that's a great picture! Scary that he was right near the cabins. You guys have scared me into just driving to dinner. I just thought it would be a nice walk, but I think I'd feel safer in the car. I'm still on the fence about whether or not we're going to purchase bear spray, given that we will only be on the boardwalks and most popular short trails. No hiking to speak of.