We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary

Schoonebeek, The...
2 posts
Save Topic
itinerary

Hai there,

We are looking forward to a great trip in Yellowstone park but i'm having some troubles to get my itinerary right. Especially since the bookings i could make in the park aren't all logic, but those were the only available. So i would love to have some thoughts and tips from you guys, it' s highly appriciated.

So here we go.

First couple of days we'll be staying in the black hills of South Dakota. Then drive over to Sheridan. Next day (june 7) visiting the Bighorn mouns and driving to Belfry, there we'll be staying for two night at the beartooth river ranch.

On june 9 it's gonna be Mammoth, next night in Lake lodge, then Roosevelt cabin and the final night will be in Old faithfull inn. Frome there we'll be driving to snake river/jackson Hole.

Thnx all.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

Well, sometimes you have to work with what you've got! You will enjoy all those different places. Here is what I would suggest on how to structure your days.

June 9 From Belfry, I am guessing you are going to drive to Red Lodge, drive over Beartooth Highway to Cooke City and enter Yellowstone through the NorthEast gate? This is the scenic route and the folks at the Ranch will be able to tell you if the weather conditions are appropriate for travel. Enter the NE entrance, drive thru Lamar Valley stopping for wildlife if you see people out with spotting scopes. Visit the Lower Terraces at Mammoth and if you have time drive a short way south from Mammoth and do the Upper Terrace Drive. Overnight Mammoth

June 10 Go south from Mammoth to Norris Geyser basin. Do a walk thru here. Head over toward Canyon. Do the Virginia Cascade Dr. Go to the Visitor Center and take a look there. (Flush toilets here!) Do the Canyon overlooks on the North Rim and South Rim, being sure to see Artist Point on the South Rim as it is the iconic view of the Lower Falls. From Canyon go south through Hayden Valley. If you have time stop at Mud Volcano, if not do it tomorrow. Overnight Lake

June 11 Do you have an interest in doing a Ranger-led hike? Storm Point Ranger hike is at 10AM. The trail head is 3 miles east of Fishing Bridge. If not, drive east on the East entrance road to Lake Butte Overlook. Take a walk across Fishing Bridge (the bridge is nothing, you are looking for wildlife!). Drive down south around the Lake a Bit. Finish up any Canyon overlooks you missed yesterday. Head north over Dunraven Pass. Stop at Tower Fall and the overlooks north of there. If you have time, I would drive back out into Lamar Valley as far as Soda Butte. (Small lumpy feature on the South side of the road. Neat swallows nests stuck on the back side of it.) Overnight Roosevelt

June 12 Go back toward Canyon, then over to Norris and then go toward Madison. Do the Firehole Canyon Drive then pick up the geyser basins along the way between there and Old Faithful. When you get to Old Faithful, go to the Visitor Center and write down the times of the predictable geysers. There is a brochure available at the Ranger desk for 50 cents with space on the back for writing in the times. If any are set to go soon, ask the Rangers to point you in the right direction. Overnight Old Faithful

June 13 If you have the time there is a very good Ranger hike at 830 that goes thru the Geyser basin. Drive toward West Thumb Geyser Basin which will take an hour or so to walk thru if you are interested, then head south to the South Gate. Overnight Jackson

Others may certainly have different suggestions too.

Have fun!

Pam

Edited: 17 May 2014, 03:29
Schoonebeek, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary

Thnx Pam!

I'm not sure wether we should drive on the 9th through beartooth or go in via East entrance , since we've have planned on the 8th to drive around beartooth and back via Chief Joseph. Any ideas for a nice hike in that area?

On the other hand it's not to bad to drive that road twice maybe? Which is better for wildlife viewing?

Edited: 17 May 2014, 04:02
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary

OK, I see. You could do it either day. I would ask at the Ranch if there is any weather coming in and if Beartooth would be better one day over the other because of that. June is still fairly early in the spring for Beartooth and it can close if a snowstorm moves thru. Definitely get some local guidance on that.

You could also drive down to Cody on your free day so you would have time to see the museum complex if there will be fair weather on your departure day.

Wildlife viewing is good either way. If you come in the NE entrance you would go thru Lamar Valley plus the Cooke City area. There is a small store in Silvergate near the NE entrance and they have been posting moose pictures on their FB page. (Stop the Car Trading Post on FB). The other way comes in the East entrance road which sometimes has bear on it, but also goes thru Hayden Valley. Really, not much difference. You can see wildlife anywhere!

Pam

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary

<< On june 9 it's gonna be Mammoth, next night in Lake lodge, then Roosevelt cabin and the final night will be in Old faithfull inn. >>

Nothing wrong with that. If you have a day where you don't feel like micromanaging yourselves, pick the thing you'd like to see or do the most that day, check with the info desk for tips, and ENJOY your vacation at vacation speed. Rather than dashing all around, letting the park come to you is the ideal way to experience YNP. The park won't fail you.

ENJOY!

5. Re: itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 06:16