We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Prismatic

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Prismatic

A couple of questions - I really want to be able to see this properly and appreciate it's colours - so firstly when is the best place to visit the midway Geysir Basin boardwalks which go around it to appreciate it in all its glory? Morning, midday, afternoon?

Secondly, we will go to Fairy Falls trail to get the view from above, but where is the best place to cut off and go up the hill to see it? From Google Street View it looks like the trail doesn't actually go up the hill and that it's a bit of "off roading" to get that view?

Thanks

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Prismatic

I'll try to answer your questions:

First, for me, the best time to see the spring has been late morning-early afternoon, but this can depend on the temperature. I like to see the spring, especially from above, with as little steam as possible. If you go early in the morning and it's cool or even cold, you'll have a lot of steam to deal with. Also, try to pick a nice bright sunny day. Minimal wind is also a plus.

Second: As far as the "trail" to view from above, it isn't mark but is more of a social trail, meaning it can be a little rough. The trail I take up, for me, is easy to spot. When you are across from the spring, maybe a little past it, look for a trail base with some loose rocks at the base. The trail will start up parallel to the Fairy Falls trail with a steep incline then you see it head into the trees. Hike this trail up to a large clearing. You will have to climb over some deadfall trees and through a small ravine, but once you get to the clearing and see the spring, you'll understand why you NEED to get up there!

Here is a pic from the viewing spot:

https:/…

Edited: 10 June 2014, 19:17
London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Prismatic

Wow thanks for that. How hikable is it with an infant on ur back in a backpack? And how long to get to the clearing? Crossing a ravine sounds concerning.

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Prismatic

It actually shouldn't be too bad. It is a steep hike up, but not too high, maybe 200 feet or less. My wife and I hike it, and I'm in my early 40's with a couple of not so good knees. I bring 1 hiking pole with me, and please wear hiking boots. If you wear sneakers or other smooth footwear, you run the risk of losing traction.

If you take your time, you should be fine.

4. Re: Grand Prismatic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2016, 14:30
Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Prismatic

Please be careful on your way up.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/14038.htm

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
363 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Prismatic

Here's a link to Deb1741's directions/photos of where to go up the hill to the viewing spot: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k55403…

Jenmarie - thanks for the link to the story. Scary stuff!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Prismatic

I have always been surprised that the Park Service has not closed that hillside to allow the vegetation to recover. It is a mess. Shameful. On top of that, that hillside has an undeserved reputation as "the" place to shoot pictures of Grand Prismatic Spring. However, all the best pictures of Grand Prismatic that I have seen were shot from the boardwalk or from the air -- not from that hillside.

Maybe the fatality will finally cause the Park Service to protect that hillside -- I hope so.

8. Re: Grand Prismatic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...