We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch in the park

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch in the park

Heading to GTNP and Yellowstone in July. For the YNP segment, I have 2 days booked at the Old Faithful Inn and 2 days at Lake Yellowstone. We will likely be having breakfast and dinners at the lodges, but how about lunches? I assume I'll be able to stock up on picnic items prior to entering the park, but how about while in the park? I think I read about one of the hotels having a sandwich shop, but not sure about other stores in the park.

Any suggestions?

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch in the park

We got sandwiches one day at the store at Fishing Bridge. Decent. I preferred their fudge.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,388 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch in the park

There are grocery stores in Jackson Hole and West Yellowstone. Buy your supplies and a cheap cooler and make your lunch each day. Great way to enjoy the park and not have to worry about heading back to one of the lodges.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,783 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch in the park

There are grocery stores near most of the lodges inside YNP. Not cheap and late in the day not a huge selection (we had to go to 2 places to find a head of lettuce, lol) You can find ice too or get from your hotel.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/stores.htm

4. Re: Lunch in the park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2016, 04:54
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch in the park

Thanks. I doubt I'll head to West Yellowstone once I start staying inside the park, so I'll have to deal with the inflated food prices!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch in the park

Actually, West Yellowstone isn't that far from Old Faithful, and the services there. A really nice super market in town, drug store, and numerous restaurants. If you don't get stopped by elk or bison, it doesn't take that long.

And, if you are doing the grand loop, and get up to Mammoth, Gardner, MT really isn't that far. They have a pretty good store there.

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch in the park

Do the fast food places at Old Faithful keep changing their names? I thought that I had done pretty extensive research on this and my OF list was Geyser Grill, Upper General Store, Bear Paw Deli, and Lower General Store. If you go to the NPS site provided by YStoner, none of these are listed under fast food at OF. There is a complete different listing of names. I would presume that the NPS site is the most accurate. Have the ones on my list morphed into the ones on the NPS site?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,783 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch in the park

They are listed under the stores link as they located in the various stores. They are still there. Also check on the Xanterra website for the lodges and Delaware North for some of the shops/grills.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 21:54
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,783 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch in the park

I couldn't go back and edit again....

visityellowstonepark.com/in-park-dining.aspx

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/dining/…

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch in the park

Can't you order a boxed lunch at some of the lodges?