We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone must-do hikes to see the best of the Lower Loop.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
138 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone must-do hikes to see the best of the Lower Loop.

Can someone please tell me the must-sees of the Lower Loop, and possibly provide a place where I can see a map of hikes around each of these areas to plan our day around the Lower Loop. We are staying in Jackson, so would love to do this in one day, but if necessary, will break it into two days. Any help of how to do any of this is really appreciated!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone must-do hikes to see the best of the Lower Loop.

I believe that the must sees of the lower loop are ALL of the geyser basins in the OF area and (altho some disagree) I adore West Thumb geyser basin. We did West Thumb in about an hour and a half, but it was also very early a.m. and no one else was around.....which was gorgeous!!! I also take photos of every little thing so that takes more time!!! We did the boardwalks of OF from Old Faitful to Morning Glory pool and it took us about 2.5 hours, again, very early am ...NO people, and photo stops every 10 feet!!!! cant help you with any more but I love these areas in the early morning.....hope you have a blast!!!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone must-do hikes to see the best of the Lower Loop.

You'll find day hikes, by area, on the interactive maps, here: www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone must-do hikes to see the best of the Lower Loop.

My wife and I enjoyed the hike to Lone Star Geyser. The trail is alongside a creek on an old roadbed, pretty flat so it's an easy hike. Lone Star is quite regular, check expected eruption times at the Old

faithful visitor center.

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
882 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone must-do hikes to see the best of the Lower Loop.

It will be a long drive from Jackson for a day trip to YNP. I think it would be about 2 hours to the geysers at Old Faithful. It is never advisable to drive in either park after dark, as the wildlife takes over the roads. Try for in park lodging. yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/lodging/…

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone must-do hikes to see the best of the Lower Loop.

<< ...the Lower Loop. We are staying in Jackson, so would love to do this in one day... >>

First of all, as mentioned above, you do not want to be driving inthe dark for safety reasons. Second, the drive between Jackson and the south entrance of Yellowstone is at least 1.5 hours, so out and back there goes three hours of your daylight. That leaves enough daylight to drive the lower loop and have lunch at OF or Canyon or Lake, and see the Upper Geyser Basin around OF. I don't see time for a hike somewhere else. You may need to revise your plan.

ENJOY!

6. Re: Yellowstone must-do hikes to see the best of the Lower Loop.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:17