We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

Please tell me if there is a way into Old Faithful that does not involve driving on a cliff edge with no guardrails. My sister warned me that they came out the East road 10 years ago and she cried the whole way it was so high and terrifying. We will be coming from Mount Rushmore and then into Yellowstone. Is there a road for chickens like me? Thanks!!!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

To avoid all mountain driving entirely, plus avoid entering by the east entrance, I think you'll have to get onto I-90, come west to Livingston, and then head south through Gardiner and into Yellowstone. Or you could just close your eyes during the scary parts (but not if you're driving).

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

Hi and thanks so much for the fast reply!! And yes, I'm laughing, and I won't be driving. Thanks for the North Road suggestion. Do you know if the east road is still under construction? Or if it is two-way traffic? Are there guardrails? That would help me. I've driven in mountains through the Canadian rockies and that was no problem at all for me, but not on the edge of a sheer drop of 3 or 4,000 feet!!! The way my sister talked, the East Road was all precipice. Is it that bad? And do you happen to know how long a drive it is? Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate your local knowledge!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

I assume that by "east road" you mean the road between the east entrance and Cody.

I'm not aware of any construction on that road, and I drove it a couple of weeks ago. The road is pretty easy to drive and only gets steep in places as you get closer to Yellowstone and once you enter the park. I don't consider it a scary road and have driven it pulling a horse trailer. There are a few areas of drop-offs, but there are guardrails as far as I remember. It is not by any means "all precipice". It takes about an hour from Cody to the east entrance, and it's a very scenic drive.

Just a suggestion: do the thing you fear to do and that will put the fear behind you.

Edited: 28 June 2014, 03:20
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

It's just possible that your sister's memory from 10 years ago is NOT of the road to Cody, but instead the Beartooth Highway, which she might have driven connecting to the park's northeast entrance (near Cooke City). The Beartooth is a curvy, high-elevation mountain road with precipices that would give a mountain goat a case of the heeby-geebies (sorry for the medical jargon).

Edited: 28 June 2014, 03:27
Worcester...
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

I was there a week ago. No construction. I also think she meant the Beartooth. Good luck!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

We drove from Yellowstone to Cody and back last week and we were joking about the lack of guardrails on some of the major drop offs! Here in California, everything has a guardrail, and there were very few...so if guardrails is what you are looking for on a major drop off, that road may not be the one for you. We also noticed the lack of guard rails on the road from Canyon to Roosevelt-Tower. I am a very experienced mountain driver and that road freaked me out! The road from Cody did not freak me out, but we definitely had a conversation about how the state of Wyoming weeds out the "stupid" people from the state through natural selection by allowing them to just drive off of sheer cliffs, whereas California practically puts padding on their guardrails to protect the "not so smart" people that live here.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

>from Yellowstone to Cody and back last week and we were joking about the lack of guardrails on some of the major drop offs!

Well, I stand corrected, thanks. I just don't remember a lack of guardrails, but I'm sure you're correct.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

From your description I am willing to bet your sister was talking about the Beartooth Pass. The Beartooth Highway basically starts in Red Lodge Montana and goes up over the Beartooth Pass at almost 11,000 feet in elevation ending up at the northeast entrance to Yellowstone Park.

These are some pics of the switchbacks from the Red Lodge side of the pass.

…photobucket.com/albums/ad123/Deb1741/Random…

The road into Yellowstone Park from Cody through the east entrance will go over Slyvan Pass is quite tame compared to the Beartooth Pass but there have been people that have had problems going over it. If you do decide to come in through the east entrance the passenger side will be the best for you. There are plenty of places to stop if you need to take a break. The speed limit is slower there and it is ok to go under the speed limit if that helps. Just make sure to have the driver pull over if there are cars lined up behind him.

Deb

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

Thank you everyone!! Wide-ranging opinions and all of them helpful to a Canadian gal who likes her guardrails! Seems like going into the park from the east we should be driving on the inside lane against the mountain and I'll be the passenger so I think I'll be able to handle that. Thanks for the photos...that helped me a lot! All of your comments helped ease my anxiety! I'm looking forward to the adventure and I'll stay far away from the Beartooth!!!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,071 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best road in to Yellowstone for someone afraid of heights

For what it is worth from a chicken point of view, I think the East entrance road is less of a problem going from Cody to Yellowstone than going from Yellowstone to Cody. Now, the part that bugs me on that road is not the drop offs but the big old rocks just waiting to slide down onto my car at Sylvan Pass. Going from Canyon north to Tower is also easier for me as well as going south from Mammoth to Norris. The disclaimer is that I WILL drive Beartooth, but only if I am driving so I will be in the middle of the road. And yes, Bill, I keep my eyes open, mostly.

Pam