We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giving Picnic Basket Advice...lessons learned

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
562 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Giving Picnic Basket Advice...lessons learned

OKay, so I just returned from our third summer in a row at Yellowstone. I'm sad it is over and am recovering by lurking in the forum and strategizing my 2015 trip, which is already on the books.

This summer I felt like we did our best on prepping our "picnic basket" supplies and wanted to give advice on lessons learned an

1. The lunch meat they sell in the park, is not what I would normally purchase, and we chose not to consume ie Oscar Meyer Bologna, etc.

2. Fruit is scarce in the park: Roosevent and Tower stores do not have fresh fruit and we spent 6 nights in this section of the park.

3. Packaged foods such as chips, cookies, bread are available.

Outside the park (Smith's in Jackson and the small grocery stores in West Yellowstone) we purchased our fresh fruit and sticks of salami that we could use for sandwhiches. Next year, we will bring dried fruit to supplement the end of the trip, when our fresh fruit isn't holding up and we are no longer venturing out of the park.

I hope this helps and would love to hear other strategies. Oh, and the wine selection in the section of the park we were in was pretty sad, better to buy outside the park.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giving Picnic Basket Advice...lessons learned

We did have sort of a thread regarding picnic lunches a couple of summers ago, but I don't think it had strategies on what to buy. It was more what do you like to eat.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k54931…

I usually leave home with dried fruit and nuts as it's easier to eat in the car than fresh fruit. Apples hold up pretty well but only if you bring them in each night. But packing food for one person is a heck of a lot easier than packing for a family with kids!

I'm not a big Walmart shopper but the Walmart in Cody is pretty good. Open 24 hours and easy to stock up on cut veggies for a few days in the park if you are coming from that direction.

Pam

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giving Picnic Basket Advice...lessons learned

What about the fruit cups that are packed in their own juice? They might travel well.

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giving Picnic Basket Advice...lessons learned

Question for the OP. Smiths is better than Albertsons? If so, why?

4. Re: Giving Picnic Basket Advice...lessons learned

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:16