We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning itinerary

Planning itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2017, 22:00
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning itinerary

Welcome to Trip Advisor forums!

Yes, where you are coming to the park from is important. Since you are coming from SLC, I suggest you look at entering the West gate at West Yellowstone. That is about a 5-5.5 hour drive (but I do have to tell you it takes me 6 hours...guess I make more stops than the average traveler. Coffee in/coffee out.) If you are flying in to SLC how far you get that first day depends on your arrival. If you have 7 nights, then I would spend 4 in Yellowstone, split between 2 places and 3 in Grand Tetons/Jackson.

For your Yellowstone nights, look at http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/ There is a wide range of accommodations from the least expensive which are cabins with a shared bath on up. Some categories may show completely booked, but there is always a lot of movement in the accommodations as Xanterra has a generous cancellation policy. Things may not start to free up until after Christmas when people start to look at their summer plans. Often people will double book so they will start to release their 2nd set of accommodations. With 4 nights in Yellowstone, (which is really only 3 full days) I suggest your first 2 nights at Old Faithful since you would be coming in the West gate and your next 2 nights at Canyon or Lake. If you decide you want more amenities than available in the in-park lodging (no TV, little cell coverage, no free wifi) then I would suggest 2 nights in West Yellowstone MT and 2 nights in Gardiner MT before you go south to Grand Tetons/Jackson.

Sorry, cant advise you of lodging in Grand Tetons/Jackson as it's not my area of expertise.

Take a look at www.nps.gov/yell which is the official website for Yellowstone. There is a huge amount of info on there regarding what to see. On the front page, click *view map* which will take you to the map you will get at the gate when you enter.

If you have a flight out of SLC you need to probably be there the night before unless it is late afternoon. Couldn't tell if you are planning to return to SLC or heading down to one of the other National Parks in Utah.

Let us know when you have more questions.

Pam

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning itinerary

you already can reserve lodging in the park for next year--unsure of the availability and specifically the dates of your visit.

If you are doing this in early June the weather can be unpredictable,`

If you are coming from SLC...half the day driving from there, then half the day in the park.4 days in yellowstone, 2 days grand teton then drive back to sLC or where you are going to next.

Canyon is the most central place in the park. If you do 2 nights at old faithful lodging then look to the north and stay in Mamoth hot springs or Roosevelt in the northg for 3 nights (or Gardiner outside the park).

Gardiner and West Yellostone has lodging outside the park that is near the entrance. there is some in cooke city but not as extensive. Cody is not a good base to use to visit the heart of the park.

For Grand Teton there is park lodging and a ton of lodging in Jackson or Teton Village and a few other places in thgat area all refered to as Jackson Hole.

3. Re: Planning itinerary

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning itinerary

With your plans, I might consider reversing your trip and going AZ and UT first as they will be hotter and Yellowstone last. Take a look at the trip reports from this June that are linked in the 2014 Trip Report link. This is on the upper right of this page under the heading *Top Questions about Yellowstone*. If you are on a mobile platform, sadly it won't show, so here's a link.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28973-i480-k70924…

Many people reported snow during June which is not unusual up to the 3rd week or so. The longer you can defer your trip to the park the better your chances are for nicer weather. (No guarantees, though! lol)

Pam

5. Re: Planning itinerary

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
57 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning itinerary

we went this past September. We stayed 3 nights at Old Faithful, 2 night in Mammoth hot Springs and 1 night at Lake Yellowstone. We had to book 15 months in advance. The park is to big to base out of one location. We seen animals everywhere. Mammoth was the place to see tons of Elk. They roam the streets in town. Lamar Valley we seen Grizzly Bears, Antelope, Elk. On the way out towards Gardiner we seen a lot of sheep on the cliffs. What we did is stop at the visitor centers and ask the Park Rangers if there have been any animal sightings around, They were very helpful. Invest in a very good pair of binoculars. they will come in handy.

7. Re: Planning itinerary

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning itinerary

If you have any interest in staying in either West Yellowstone or Gardiner, make your reservations before Christmas. Prices go up about 20% after that.

9. Re: Planning itinerary

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
57 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning itinerary

You will not be disappointed!! It is so beautiful. Another suggestion - Beartooth Highway was the most spectacular scenic drive we ever took. I can't remember which exit from the park it was but it's was Cooke City to Red Lodge Montana.