We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

logistics - flying from Florida

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Topic
logistics - flying from Florida

Hi all! We tried to plan this trip a year or so ago and abandoned it due to all the logistics. Yellowstone is on our bucket list and we are going to give it another go! We will be flying in from Florida (thinking Jackson Hole) and staying a few days in Tetons and then off to Yellowstone for 4 days or so. We have 2 boys that will be 9 and 11 next summer when we plan to come.

We are considering renting an SUV and pop-up trailer since our friends will be there at the same time. (They will have an RV and car.). We'd like to stay next to them. But then my mind goes into planning overdrive and I think about all the things we will need. (cooler, food, ice, firewood, grill, bedding, camping chairs, etc.). It just seems like so much.

I'm sure people have done this before and I am not the only one. I need some practical advice please! We'd really love to make this dream a reality. Thanks for your help!

Erin

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,275 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: logistics - flying from Florida

The only campground in the park that has hook-ups is Fishing Bridge. It is for hard-sided units only as it is in a Grizzly bear area. If they want to dry-camp you could be in the same campground. If they dry camped at Canyon you could stay at the Canyon lodging area and not have to figure out the camping thing.

And as a question to anyone who knows, can you actually tow a rental popup with a rental SUV? Many rental contracts do not allow you to either use the vehicle to tow with or to tow the vehicle, as in behind an RV. Erin, this is something you would need to check on as well. That may solve your dilemma by knocking out one of your choices, lol.

I would also consider flying open jaw, in to one city and out of another. So if you flew in to Jackson, fly out of Bozeman. This would work if you rented a vehicle, but would likely not work if you did go with renting a pop-up. You might want to check airfares in and out both ways as well as car drop off charges.

Pam

Edited: 10 July 2014, 22:58
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,613 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: logistics - flying from Florida

Your arms may be tired from flying....

You don't need an SUV unless you want to pay twice as much for the gas you would use.

As Pam said...look at the one way rental and airfare rates and pick what is cheaper. Bozeman, billings, Jackson, and Idaho falls are the closest airports to the parks.

I'm sure there is a way to rent a vehicle and a pop up...just unsure how. Look at lodging options. Another option is tent camping, or if you rent an SUV you could sleep in that.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: logistics - flying from Florida

Thanks for your replies. There is a rental place in Jackson that rents combo units (SUV and pop-up) so we are considering that option. Not sure which campground they are staying at, but they said one of the "centrally located ones.". I found out that the rental company will rent camping chairs, bedding, grill, etc. so that helps out, but just adds up $$. It's a lot to figure out, but we have time. Thanks!

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: logistics - flying from Florida

As few years ago, we researched renting a camper vs staying in the lodges, and the camper option was more expensive, and a lot more trouble. If your friends are staying in Canyon campground, there are several lodges and many cabins there that may be a good fit for your family. A Dining room, cafeteria and grill are in canyon village, or the two families could eat meals together near the RV. For a first time visit, I would simplify the plan. You would need a campsite or room in GTNP or Jackson also.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: logistics - flying from Florida

For future references I wanted to link this on this thread:

www.adventurecamper.com/wyoming/jackson-hole/

Adventure Camper Rentals out of Jackson, Wyoming rents pop-up trailers, trailers, combo vehicle/trailers, and accessories.

Deb

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: logistics - flying from Florida

Erinkfredd

Most pop ups (including those mentioned in the link) have a fridge.

I guess you would have to have a link up every night to keep it cool.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,588 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: logistics - flying from Florida

No need to hookup to electricity, refrigerators in trailers run off of propane as well a electricity.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: logistics - flying from Florida

Thanks everyone! All helpful info! I'd like to stay in a cabin or lodge, but my husband wants to truly experience Yellowstone by camping! We'll keep working on it!

9. Re: logistics - flying from Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 03:16