We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day trip to Yellowstone - lodging and itinerary help

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
3 day trip to Yellowstone - lodging and itinerary help

We are a planning a 3-day trip to Yellowstone Labor Day weekend 2014. We will be entering the park from the south entrance and I was able to get rooms at OF Inn night 1 and Canyon nights 2 and 3. I was considering canceling the first night in Canyon and staying in Gardiner on night 2 to save money (about $100) since we don't mind moving each night. Would this be ok or should I just keep my current in park reservation? Any ideas on a general itinerary for those days? And any guesses on how crowded the park will be on Labor Day weekend? Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,908 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day trip to Yellowstone - lodging and itinerary help

Welcome to the forum. What are you using as your flight gateway, SLC or Jackson? We actually prefer Gardiner as it's significantly cheaper. However, given that you only have three days, I think you'll press yourself with extra driving. You would be wiser staying Canyon and Old Faithful.

The park is crowded all summer and Labor Day won't really be any different. Just keep in mind that things flow slowly but for a good reason.

Have fun.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day trip to Yellowstone - lodging and itinerary help

Labor day weekend the park will be busy bt not as busy as end of July. Come labor day kids are back at school already or will be right after.

How are you leaving the park??? Which way. When are you expected to enter the park?

Canyon is a good center point.

If you get in early enough you can explore old faithful area that day then spend the night there.

Next day you --depends on which way you leave the park.... You could drive by lake yellowstone to canyon first the first night in canyon. In the evening check out hayden valley.

The next day see mamouth hot spring then Lamar valley in the late afternoon/evening then back to canyon

Then on the last day explore Norris area and then exit at west Yellowstone.

If you planned on leaving by going to ody then on the last day you do Lamar valley then drive out on Beartooth. Then the previous day you would focus on Norris and mamouth.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day trip to Yellowstone - lodging and itinerary help

Thanks for the replies! We are flying in to SLC and spending 2 nights in Jackson Hole before heading to Yellowstone. We should arrive early enough to have a full day before the first night in OF. We will be heading back to SLC so will probably leave via the west or south.

I'm tempted to stay in Gardiner on night 2 or 3 but not sure how we could plan our itinerary without adding a lot of extra driving....

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day trip to Yellowstone - lodging and itinerary help

You will have a lot of driving anyway. I think the main point to consider (well, besides the $$, lol) is whether you want to move every night or if you want to have 2 nights in the same place. I, personally, am not a fan of moving every night, but that is just me. Others don't mind it.

As far as itinerary, you can work your way around the Loop Road in a clockwise manner picking up sights as you come to them.

I'm not sure exactly what days you will be there, but be aware that on Sept 2 (Tues after Labor Day) the road between West Thumb will close. It looks like you may travel from Jackson to Old Faithful before that cut off date, if so you will be fine, otherwise you will have a detour.

nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Pam

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day trip to Yellowstone - lodging and itinerary help

Thanks everyone for the input! We are very excited for our trip and I appreciate the help!

6. Re: 3 day trip to Yellowstone - lodging and itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 05:16