We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Hotel or Canyon Lodge

Boston
Level Contributor
681 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Hotel or Canyon Lodge

Please convince me, 2 night stay

Had some great luck today with last minute rooms opening up.

First time visitor to the park:

Staying 2 nights at OFI, old wing 1 queen room (private bath) before.

I expect this to be fairly basic room but excited for the location and convenience.

Last 2 nights either Queen lake view room at Lake Hotel $$$ or Canyon Lodge 2 double room in either Dunraven or Cascade $$

The money difference is actually significant but I am willing to pay the higher rate if it improves the trip overall. Both seem overpriced for the amenities either way but not willing to go more rustic.

Canyon: pluses: location seems more central than Lake and prefer waterfalls and canyon views to lake views.

really want to spend some time at the canyon overlooks and walk some trails there.

Like to try to get out early for a walk so canyon at first seemed best.

Canyon: minuses: don't think any rooms have views, rooms have 2 double beds which for a couple is not so great, have heard many of the viewpoints require driving anyway because area is very big, building and rooms do not exactly scream luxury to me and mainly to my wife that would be a negative.

Especially if the old house rooms at OFI are disappointing

Lake: pluses: room and hotel both have a view and place is definitely more of a luxury accommodation which my wife will appreciate. Queen bed. Likely would eat one dinner in their nice restaurant and will be nice to walk up to bed rather than drive

Lake: minuses: location will obviously require driving to get to Canyon lookouts and trails.

Also, last night have booked Cookout Dinner which leaves from Roosevelt, could be a long ride home that night from Roosevelt to Lake?, Cost is much higher ; not quite double but almost.

Does either often have wildlife right outside or visible from room/hotel? That would be a plus.

This is a surprise trip for my wife so want her to enjoy but at same time location is very important and having been there it is hard to tell if one location is much better or not.

Lastly leaving last day toward Jackson but have a late flight out so will spend some time in park last day so not much of a factor.

Need to pick one, don't want to do 1 night at each and not changing OFI 2 night stay, leaving toward Lake but worried about the location and missing out on staying at Canyon..

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,003 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Hotel or Canyon Lodge

You'll be out all day so the view rooms might not matter much. To many of us, a bed at YNP is simply a place to crash.

Beverages, bars, seating areas are available in the main lodge great rooms.

Canyon gets my vote.

Lake Lodge has nice deck overlooking a meadow; with beverage and chips at hand, a relaxing moment.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 20:53
NJ
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Hotel or Canyon Lodge

Lake is a nice location and as you point out the main hotel is much "higher" end. Canyon, more crowded with families. BUT because as Voyaging pointed you are only in the room to sleep, location should win the day andthe Canyon is more central.

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
726 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Hotel or Canyon Lodge

The view rooms at Lake do not always have a view of the lake. It is often obstructed. We go in May and September so I have stayed at Lake Yellowstone many times and have been disappointed every time. Admittedly that is generally becasue of the run down condition of the hotel which is now fixed but the price is now sky high. Lake Yellowstone is definately worth visiting. The dining room is really good and the lobby is fun. But don't stay there for the views.

I prefer the Canyon Western Cabins. Queen beds and much more private than the hotel. You can drive up to the cabin, so that is a nice convenience.The convenience of Canyon is terrific. It means early and dusk views of Hayden plus the big waterfalls. Nothing in Yellowstone is high end amenity and the last time I was a Lake, no phone signal at all and no wifi. They may have added wifi with the renovations. I ask for one of the cabins near the trail that leads to the canyon. No waterfall views, but you can hear the water and the trees rustling in the wind. Love Canyon Western Cabins! They don't open until the end of May and close the third weekend in Sept. so I have only stayed there 3 times, but loved it each time.

Boston
Level Contributor
681 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Hotel or Canyon Lodge

So far it definitely seems the more convenient Canyon location is the overwhelming choice.

To clarify I have both rooms (both for 2 nights) already booked so will be cancelling one or the other.

At this point likely won't find openings for the Canyon cabins and don't want to book a 3rd block for these dates, the dates are only a few weeks away and in August.

Are the lodges (Dunraven or Cascade) convenient for walking to the South or North Rim of the canyon for close by views?

How about the drive from Roosevelt to Lake after the cookout dinner, is that a big issue? if so that means more reason to stay at Canyon because I have my heart set on trying this cookout dinner 1 night.

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
726 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Hotel or Canyon Lodge

I don't believe that you can easily walk to the North or South rims from Canyon Lodges. In order to get back to Lake from Roosevelt, you will need to go over Dunraven either to Canyon or Lake. That is a little dicy after dark. I have done it and had a small grizzly in the roadway. Be really careful. To go onto to Lake, you will have to go through Hayden with all of it wildlife and then by Mud Volcano area, home of a herd of bison that stay there all the time. That area can be dangerous in daylight! Be super careful at night. Bison are cool but they use the roadways regularly (fun fact-the roadways are built on the old bison trails, which is, in part, why the bison continue to use them-it's in their DNA). If you try to go from Roosevelt to Lake in full dark, you are in for a white knuckle experience. However, this time of year, it doesn't get full dark until 9:30-10, so if the cookout is over around 8ish, you should be fine to Canyon, less fine all the way to Lake

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
978 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Hotel or Canyon Lodge

I think it largely depends on whether you want to be closer to the Canyon/Yellowstone Falls or the Lake/Hayden Valley. Lake is preferable if you want to get an early start to Hayden Valley, take the Xanterra tour to Lake Butte or going to the "Great Lodges" is a big deal for you. You sort of answered your own question though, by saying that you're more of a Canyon/Waterfall person, so even if you can't walk to any of the overlooks from the lodgings you may want to stay there to spend a longer amount of time there until you have to get back to lodgings before dark.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Hotel or Canyon Lodge

Most of what you ask is really a matter of personal taste, which you know better than we, except for one thing that stands out: "have booked Cookout Dinner which leaves from Roosevelt, could be a long ride home that night from Roosevelt to Lake"

You do NOT want to be driving after dark for multiple safety reasons.

ENJOY!

Manchester
Level Contributor
40 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Hotel or Canyon Lodge

Stayed at Lake . Absolutely lovely but don,t let the views make your decision. In our room you had to stand up to see the views even though we had a lake view room. IN the lounge the are a few chairs where you can see it as in the restaurant. The views are what you see all day every day! By the time you get to the hotel at night all you want to do is eat and sleep. Restaurant at Lake is average at best and very expensive. Good service but not what you are led to expect. Best value is the burger which was great! Having said all that the Lake is a beautiful hotel but for me I would not pay those prices again.

9. Re: Lake Hotel or Canyon Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:16