We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 3 day trip to YNP

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for 3 day trip to YNP

I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone over Labor Day weekend with two of my sisters. We will be flying to SLC and spending 2 nights in Jackson Hole prior to Yellowstone so will enter the park from the south. From there we have 3 nights in/near the park with reservations on night 1 at OF Inn, night 2 in Gardiner, and night 3 at Lake Lodge. I would like to take I 15 back to SLC so will probably exit the park from the West. Based on our lodging I'm thinking we will probably drive clockwise around the park but would appreciate some suggestions for possible itineraries those days. We want to hit the major sites and also be able to break up the driving with some hiking. It seems like there is so much to see and it is a little hard to sort out what is a "must see" and how much time to allot for each area. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 3 day trip to YNP

FYI thr road from west thumb to old faithful will be closed starting the Tuesday after Labor Day.

If you are foing 2 nights in grand teton...after the second night do the early AM and see Schwahbacher and Ox Bow bend for early morning sun then drive up to old faithful..should get there around 1pm.

Spend the rest of the day exploring old faithful area. with all the different trails and things to see (not just old faithful)... night at old faithful

day 2 ---explore Norris area then up to Mamoth Hot Springs in the afternoon.evening night in Gardiner

day 3 drive to Tower, see Lamar Valley, then down to Canyon, then to Lake Lodge. In the evening go into Hayden Valley and wee wildlife.

day 4...to get back to SLC from Lake will take about 2 hrs to west yellowstone then about 5 hrs to SLC without taking into account any stopping for gas and food. You could spend the AM with Lake Yellowstone, then leave around noon and get to SLC airport around 10pm or 11 pm. If you have lunch in lake lodge area then have dinner in Idaho Falls.

You cant see it all

2. Re: Suggestions for 3 day trip to YNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...