We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
211 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

We are heading out on our trip next week with great help from my TA community! - because I only started planning this spring (due to health issues), I have booked/ cancelled/rebooked when cancellations came up and we are doing the move around thing, which I was okay with until I just saw a posting saying it is not a good idea, but we are just a couple (50 -something, active) and have 2 nights after at Jackson Lake Lodge in Tetons, then 3 nights in Red Cliffs lodge in Moab, so only YNP is moving around. We are staying at Canyon lodge, then Mammoth (queen cabin), then OF Inn, then Lake Lodge western cabin. I thought about trying to double up somewhere, but not sure what I would want to give up! what are your thoughts? let it be? thank you!

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

You have in park lodging, congratulations. Sometimes openings occur two days out due to the cancellation policy, so maybe give Xanterra call right before you leave. I had friends who were able to change reservations while at the check in desk for the next night, so maybe ask as you go so you could stay two nights at one place. In any case, pack light, and ENJOY!

Harlingen,TX
Level Contributor
806 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

The first time we went to Yellowstone we stayed in a different in-park hotel every night. I didn't mind, but my husband didn't like packing and unpacking every night. So the second time we went, we stayed in 2 places (Mammoth cabins and Lake Yellowstone cabins) 2/3 nights. For us, the first time our LEAST favorite was the OF Inn, so that's the one I'd give up if possible. I guess we much prefer cabins.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

I think your lodging is great just the way it is!

Even camping with a tent (put up...take down wet LOL) as I do, I love stayinng the night in different quadrants of the park to easily explore each area.

Plus, you get to try 4 different dining spots at night. Dining at Lake hotel, OF lodge, etc. And see the stars & moon from different lodging decks.

You'll have a great trip!

Edited: 20 August 2014, 16:23
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,677 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

Yes, I think it really depends on your travel style. If you don't mind packing and unpacking, moving every night is not problem.

I know some don't like the OF area, but it is my favorite so I would vote to keep it! I love being out in the geyser basin early morning or in the evening before dark.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,927 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

We love OF Inn also. We love the buffet at the OF inn for breakfast and dinner. Make reservations for the OF inn dining hall for dinner. Lake hotel has good food also.

Boston
Level Contributor
621 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

You are best off booking either 12 months in advance or 1 week in advance.

I am leaving in a few days but still checking the site for openings 5x a day.

Still hoping for the perfect opening, but seeing open spots come and go hourly right now for next week.

You could with only a little luck find a matching 2nd day for one of your places.

People like me have double bookings and need to cancel one, with the liberal cancellation policy many due this and I plan on cancelling any double bookings I have tomorrow or Friday for next week's stay.

I think 4 in 4 nights will feel a little bit much with the unpacking and checking in consistently. You do gain more in different experiences and logistics though.

For me, I decided I preferred 2 night stays because will be traveling with a young one and if they want to go to the hotel to nap, it is nice to have that an option with 1 night stays you have no room in the early afternoon hours.

With your plans, doubling up at either Canyon or Lake and cancelling the other probably works best for touring the park. Though personally I probably would cancel Mammoth and book a 2nd night anywhere else and just hit Mammoth as a day trip ; though having never been there take this advance with a huge grain of salt. The Mammoth area just did not seem to have as much to offer as the other areas to stay.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 18:12
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

I think your schedule is fine. We saw Norris and Mammoth (and Gardiner) in one day. Old Faithful in one day. Canyon, Tower & Roosevelt in one day and Lake & West Thumb in one day. We went from sun up to sun down, but it was great. We saw it all! We also spent a day/evening in Cody. We base camped in our RV at Fishing Bridge and West Yellowstone.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

<< we are doing the move around thing, which I was okay with until I just saw a posting saying it is not a good idea >>

If you are good with it, you are fine. You will find that a lot of the posts on TA consist of people giving you their own personal preference as if it were gospel. Don't let them worry you.

ENJOY!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
385 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

I'm one of those people who likes to stay near my daily activities in the park. That allows me to minimize backtracking and devote more time to hiking and sightseeing. I also waste less time in critter jams that can happen often in certain parts of the park.

By staying in multiple locations I can also enjoy longer days of exploring without having to worry about driving long distances on park roads at night and also enjoy evening ranger programs in the area where I am staying.

To minimize the challenge of moving every day or two we each pack a small night bag so we don't have to take our big suitcases into the room/cabin. It has our toiletries, sundries, night time sleepwear and clothes to wear the next day. We re-pack the bag each day with clean clothes after we have our picnic lunch at one of the 52 picnic areas in the park.

We normally stay at three locations in the park with two of them 1-2 days and one of them 4-6 days. After doing this for five years it has become our favorite way to spend time Yellowstone. This probably works better when there are no young children involved but once they are old enough to be responsible for their own night bag it can work with families too.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
211 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 nights, 4 different in park hotels?

Thank you for the great logistical suggestion on repacking for the next night ahead of time - brilliant! Yes, I was thinking we could avoid backtracking, and come back on another trip and spend time more focused on our favorite areas or wherever we wanted to spend more time. I will keep what we have - we are pretty good with getting in and out, and being organized - we do one night trips to Montreal all the time to visit our son, and we have that routine down to be quite efficient, and never leave anything behind in the hotel!