We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

We have booked 4 nights in Yellowstone (after 2 nights in Grand Teton) in September. We are trying to plan around the road closure in the Park at that time.

On our last day we need to be in Jackson Hole to drop the rental car off and check in to Delta airlines for a flight to Canada....this departs at 12.30. When we did a Google search from Old Faithful through West Yellowstone down to JAC it says about 3.5 hours....and so we thought we'd have enough time if we left about 6.00am. However, someone has just suggested that with wildlife etc it will take more like 6 hours!

Any suggestions as to whether we'd be better off cancelling our last night at Old Faithful and booking into a motel at Jackson? Or should we just get up and leave very early?

Would appreciate any help on this

Thanks

Bil

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,943 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,779 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

Do not know if it will take 6 hours but think it could take as much as 5 hours.

Hopefully Pam and others familiar with the park will chime in with their opinions.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

With a 12:30 flight, and car drop-off & check in, not to mention possible delays due to construction or wildlife (or other), I think you would be taking a huge chance leaving YNP on the same morning. We've been to YNP twice and several times we have ended up at a standstill because of Bison in the middle of the road and all you can do is sit and wait for them to move on. I sympathize with having to lose 1 night in YNP, but how would you feel if you missed your flight? I vote to stay the last night in Jackson.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

I usually err on the side of caution, so I would want to be in Jackson the last night and avoid morning stress.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

I agree with the others. Is there a way you could reverse your travel plans and spend the first 4 days in YNP and the last two in GTNP?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,788 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

Road closure or not, in my mind it is not a good idea to stay at a distance from a departure airport the night prior to your flight. Sadly I agree you should cancel the last night in Yellowstone and stay closer to the airport.

Pam

Edited: 21 August 2014, 02:56
Australia
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

Thanks everyone...we really do appreciate your advice. Will check if we can swap around Grand Teton and Yellowstone...doing Yellowstone first and be closer to JAC from Grand Teton. Doubt that this will be possible but though it worth a try.

Failing that, will try to secure accommodation near or in Jackson.

Once again thanks so much for your help

Bil

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,779 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

Good idea to be closer to the airport. I would also stay in Jackson Hole the last night.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

Thanks PeachBelle and everyone...we have booked Motel in Jackson Hole, so that alleviates that worry!

Many thanks for all your help

Bil

Mentioned in this post
PA
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

Glad you made the switch, Bil. Last year, we had close to an hour delay on the road near the southern entrance of the park due to a car accident. With all the roads being just 2 lanes, an accident can jam things up! It was the day before we flew home from Jackson. I remember saying that I was glad we weren't trying to get to the airport that day!

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
10. Re: Help please. Should we cancel night in Yellowstone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:17