We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Idaho falls to west Yellowstone question

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
129 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Idaho falls to west Yellowstone question

Hey all! Hubby and I decided to do a kind of last minute trip out to Yellowstone and Grand Teton in 3 weeks for 10 days including travel days. I've booked flights and hotels. We can't get into park accommodations in Yellowstone but were able to get a hotel in West Yellowstone and I will keep hunting. I'm not willing to hop around though so may just stay where we are. We were able to get into a cabin at Jackson Lake Lodge so am set there.

We've visited before in the summer but this will be our first time in the fall and without kids. Excited to do some different things this time (hubby is into geology and I want to hike and see wildlife and have cooler weather than Florida!). So any good suggestions about those things are welcome.

My main question though is about the drive from Idaho falls to West Yellowstone. Our flight gets in LATE Friday night (10:49 p.m. which will be 12:49 a.m. to our bodies with the time zone change). I want to get an idea of the drive. Is it really scenic and we will regret driving in the dark and miss it? Is it difficult in terms of twists/turns and wildlife? I hate the idea of giving up part of a park day by staying near the airport Friday night and driving up Saturday morning but also hate that long of a drive on unfamiliar roads when we will be tired.

So I'd appreciate any advice/ suggestions you can give us!

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Lake Lodge
Jackson Lake Lodge
2,040 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
Florida
Florida
United States
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Idaho falls to west Yellowstone question

Since you can drive it in well less than 2 hours, I'd stay overnight in IF and just drive to West in the morning. It's fairly scenic (really beautiful in the winter). And there are deer in that area, which makes a daytime drive safer. Not to mention the hazards of driving so late, on country roads, when you're so tired.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
129 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Idaho falls to west Yellowstone question

Thanks so much!

Clearfield, Utah...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Idaho falls to west Yellowstone question

A nice little detour near Ashton is the mesa falls loop. Very nice

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
932 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Idaho falls to west Yellowstone question

Seconding the recommendation to stay in IF overnight. Lots of hotel choices not far from the airport. Grab a cheap room and hit the road early.

Scenery is so-so for a fair part of the drive, but driving at night...let's just say we know people who have had nighttime animal encounters along that road. Not good.

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Idaho falls to west Yellowstone question

I agree with the others. Stay in IF for the night. Not that the scenery is so amazing, but the wildlife is just not worth the risk.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
129 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Idaho falls to west Yellowstone question

Thanks all! After looking around a bit on here we actually changed our flight to arrive in Bozeman instead. Flights were cheaper and rental cars were much cheaper. It was close to $1,000 less!! The flight still gets in late though so we will heed the advice about staying near the airport that night and get an early start in Saturday.

Mentioned in this post
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Idaho falls to west Yellowstone question

Lucky you! I think the drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone is even prettier (either way you go - through Gardiner/Mammoth or via 191). Note road closures: http://www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/14057.htm

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Drive from Idaho falls to west Yellowstone question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 06:15