We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

We will be traveling From Idaho to Colorado in mid Oct and thought we would see Yellowstone along the way. We have never been before and chances are we won't be back. We REALLY want to see it, but after reading these forums, I wonder if it's too late in the year to try and do an RV adventure there! It sounds cold and closed up! What to do?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

Hi Rudas,

From where in Idaho to where on Colorado and for how long?

Please let us know. And it's never too late!

Tet

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

Hi,

Starting in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho and going to Ft. Collins, Co ( right near Cheyenne, Wy) We have 4 days to get there,

Thanks tons!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

Hi

Coeur d'Alene to either Gardiner (north entrance) or West Yellowstone (west entrance) is about a 7-8 hours drive. North entrance is open year round. Other entrances are closed begin of november-mid may. The road from the north entrance to Cooke City at the northeast entrance is open all year. You may expect snow (all year possible) but it will be a fantastic visit anyway. I would recommend to enter the NP through Gardiner and find a camping there or near Mammoth Hot Springs and visit places like Mammoth Hot Springs, Tower Roosevelt, Canyon Village and Madison 2nd day. Try to stay near Madison for the night Next day visit Lower Geyser Basin, Old Faithful and West Thumb. Drive to Grand Teton NP and find a camping in the park. Maybe drive Teton Park Road as a bonus. Other itineraries are possible.

Last days drive to Fort Collins will be a long one, some 9 hours.

I've never been in this wonderland late october but I'm sure

Yellowstone Fan and other experts will give you more info.

Tet

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

Thank you so much for the info, it's quite helpful. Definitley sounds like it's worth taking a chance, even if it is cold! We will NOT be towing a vehicle. This may sound silly, but is it possible to go from site to site in a large Motor Coach? You mentioned wonderful things to see and I just don't have any concept of how far apart these locations are or if they will be accessible with a 43 ft motor home. I have been told there is a bus of somesort that runs in the park, but I'm sure the season is over for that!

Thanks again

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

Maybe look at www.nps.gov for further info. As far as I know tours only run in summer and you'll have to drive yourself. Yellowstone is a huge park and average speed often is below 30 mph and for good reasons. SO much to see. I'm not aware of any restriction re large motorcoaches.

Tet

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

I think you will be fine in a large RV--many of the sites (eg, Old Faithful) have really large parking lots and I'm sure there will be plent of room to park.

The last time I was there, we did pull to the side of the road frequently to see wildlife, etc, so you might have to bypass some of those moments due to lack of shoulder room, but, I'm sure you will be fine.

We will be there at the same time---we'll look for a large RV and wave! :-)

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

Hi Rudas- A couple things to keep in mind when planning your trip. There is one road within the Upper Loop of Yellowstone that will definitely be closed by the time you arrive. The road from Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass) on October 10th. The other high elevation with narrow roads is Sylvan Pass on the way to the East Entrance. You would want to check and make sure that it is open before going through.

Our weather has been very nice up until today with just one cold spell in September. This weekend it is going to get colder and there is a chance of snow in the upper elevations (high mountain areas) like Dunraven Pass. During the day, however, our temparatures are still in the 40's - 50's.

That said there are plenty of places you can still drive and pull off to see wildlife. There are large pullouts that will accomodate your large RV and we have taken large busses even on the side roads to Firehole Falls Drive and Virginia Cascades.

We have been in the Park daily for the past several weeks for Fall photography. There are several elk herds between the West entrance (coming in from West Yellowstone, MT) and Madison Junction. The big bulls are still in the rut and the smaller bulls are still in the area too. We have also seen bison moving back into the Madison River area. The new pair of bald eaglets are still along the river (this week they have been eating a mule deer carcass in the river and there have been some great photo's). The blue herons are still in the Madison and there are many geese and ducks too.

The bison are also migrating back from Hayden Valley through the center of the park to the geyser basin areas. We saw a group of 75 along the road near Fountain Flats Drive. This is the road that goes into the Old Faithful area. There is plenty of large vehicles parking in the geyser areas....you can pull over at Fountain Paint Pots, Biscuit Basin. When you get near Old Faithful, don't take the first road that goes right into Old Faithful Lodge...keep going to the next turnoff and it will take you to larger parking areas behind the Lodge and next to the Snow Lodge.

We have also seen bears along the road that goes along Yellowstone Lake this week. All of the bears are in hyperphagia - a state where they eat constantly to prepare for hibernation. There are pulloffs along Yellowstone Lake too! In fact, you should be able to even take Gull Point Drive which is a really neat side road that goes along the Lake and there are pullouts.

And, there have been moose along the road in the Lewis Falls area (southern end of Yellowstone).

Hope this helps!

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

If you are planning to camp within Yellowstone, there should be plenty of spaces. Some of the campgrounds will be closed (Fishing Bridge, Grant Village, Norris, Pebble Creek, Tower). The Madison, Slough Creek, Lewis Lake will still be open.

Ogden, Utah
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

Yellowstonefan, you are awesome and you have been a big help to me in planning my trip. Thanks a bunch. I am coming up next weekend and have one last question- Are the fall colors gone? I assume yes, and hope for no. Thanks again

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone RV trip Oct 16

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great info. I've printed all these locations and directions and feel ready to go! I'm new to the forum and am amazed that you all take the time to help a stranger plan a vacation! I hope I can return the favor someday!

O' Rudas