We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Been there, done that!

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
277 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Been there, done that!

Hi! I've been to Yellowstone many times and really love it. However, I don't know anything about the areas surrounding the park (except the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole). Can anyone give me some info on worthwhile outside areas to visit (no more than two hours in any direction)? Also, I'm interested in nice cabin rentals (not rustic!) especially located on or near fishing rivers/streams. I'd appreciate any ideas.

FYI -- my family likes almost anything: hiking, biking, fishing, historical places, etc.

Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Been there, done that!

We have had a good time in both the Gallatin and Paradise Valleys (the Gallatin is located South of Bozeman, MT and Paradise Valley is South of Livingston, MT). It is easy to fly into Bozeman or Bilings Montana to get to either area.

Both valleys offer good access to Yellowstone Park and many outdoor type activities from rafting to fishing to hiking, biking, horse back riding, etc.

We typically rent nice class vacation homes. We have rented homes on both the Gallatin and Yellowstone Rivers. Typically, you'll find lots to choose from by doing a little internet searching. Try searching Yellowstone River vacation homes or Gallatin River vacation homes.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Been there, done that!

Hi Katrina

One of the most beautiful drives in the USA is the drive along Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge. You can head for Cody then, with its great Buffalo Bill Museum. Also the drive back to Yellowstone along wy14 is scenic. For a short cut to Cody also Chief Joseph Hw is a great drive. From Moran (Grand Teton NP) you also may drive on us 26/287 to Dubois to visit the National Bighorn Sheep IC and enjoy this beautiful area as well.

Tet

Burlington...
Level Contributor
121 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Been there, done that!

katrinabrain,

I love Yellowstone, but probably love the surrounding area even more. I have a lot of experience with some rustic Forest Service cabins that are in great locations not far from Yellowstone and are on the some of the greatest rivers you will ever fish, but that doesn't sound like what you want.

But you might want to check out the West Yellowstone area which has great fishing not far from it. Not far from West Yellowstone is Quake Lake. This is an awsome, yet creepy place. If you go, take time to go to the Visitor Center and make sure you watch the movie! Not far from Quake Lake is a town called Virginia City. It is mostly a ghost town, but does have some services and has great history. If you keep going west, you will come to Nevada City which has less services and probably more ghosts, but has a great place to pan for gold, the kids ages 7 and 10, loved it. Not far from this is the Ruby River which is one of favorites to fish.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

4. Re: Been there, done that!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 13:20