We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yosemite for one day only

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
amelia island...
4 posts
Save Topic
yosemite for one day only

I am coming through from the south entrance and out to SFO. How long should I allow. We have to be at SFO by late morning Friday the 13th of April. I will have two boys age 13 with me. What would be the most fun for kids? I have been to the park before but not the boys. Any suggestions/

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,950 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yosemite for one day only

It in a way depends upon the boys interest. If they like bike riding, all kinds of wonderful places to enjoy on a bike. There is the loop route...Happy Isles, Muir Lake, etc....which is easily done within one day.

yosemitepark.com/Activities_WarmWeatherActiv…

If you are accomplished bike riders, let's say 2 to 3 hours maximum for this.

A walk from Yosemite Lodge to Yosemite Falls especially now is always fun. It is only 1/2 mile round trip so easy to do.

www.yosemite.org/visitor/frequent-seeing.htm

Then there is also Yosemite River Rafting

c-w-r.com/information/yosemite-rafting.html

In by 11:00 out by 4:00

It is unclear what time you are entering the park and what time you are leaving it.

If you have a full day of it, you can rent bikes at 8:00 and do the loop.

Go rafting on the river.

and then as you leave the park take the short walk to Yosemite Falls.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yosemite for one day only

April might be fairly cold for rafting, but teens often don't recognize the discomforts adults do!

If anyone has an interest in photography, you are in the right spot. Also, take a look a the Yosemite Today magazine and see what ranger lead activities will be going on during your trip. April will be out fairly soon, but you can check last April around the same date for an idea.

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/today.htm

Have a great trip, brief as it sounds.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yosemite for one day only

If you have to leave for SFO, be sure to take HWY 140 out of Yosemite. It might be better to stay outside the park after your day of fun. If you get a chance while coming in the south entrance, I think they'd like the Mariposa Grove of giant sequoias if the road is open. otherwise, anything in the valley (rafts especially).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yosemite for one day only

I remember the first time I visited Yosemite, as a 12 year old. Taking one of the medium length hikes originating in the valley was by far my favorite memory (we were there for five days). We hiked from the valley to the top of Upper Yosemite Falls - actually, to a point beyond the top of the falls. It took a total of 4 hours, round trip, and had beautiful scenic views at several points. We repeated this hike with my family about five years ago, in early April. My son was 13 at the time, and was not thrilled with the idea of a mildly strenuous hike that took the better part of the morning. But it is now also one of his favorite memories from all of our family vacations.

The Mist Trail would also be a good bet, with good views of Vernal and Nevada Falls and, at the top, spectacular views of Half Dome, Liberty Cap (not otherwise visible from the valley), North Dome, Warners Peak, etc. This is also a 4 to 5 hour hike and mildly strenuous hike (and wet at this time of the year - but that's half the fun of it).

You could also drive to Glacier Point for a similarly spectacular view of the valley and beyond (not sure if the road to Glacier Point is open at this time though). Both of the hikes referenced above give you beautiful views (and feel) of the falls, wonderful views of the valley, and a tremendous sense of accomplishment for completing such a hike.

5. Re: yosemite for one day only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park