We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Death Valley to Yosemite

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Death Valley to Yosemite

I am travelling by car from The Furnace Creek Inn to Yosemite Village in mid April and understand the Tioga Pass will be closed. Could anyone advise me of the best alternative route by car? Thanks K

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Village
Yosemite Village
442 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
995 Reviews
No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Death Valley to Yosemite

You'll need to route around the south end of the sierra nevada.

I suggest 395 South to 178 West to 99 North to 140

There are other routes but I like the scenery along 178.

Depending on how much time you want to spend on smaller roads you could take 178 to 155 to 99.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,011 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Death Valley to Yosemite

Another alternative, for a little less time on the freeway in the San Joaquin Valley and more Sierra Nevada scenery: Follow MKCal's directions to Hwy 99, and at Fresno, take State Route 41 north. You'll enter the park from the south (Wawona) entrance, and after your visit you can exit to the west by 140 or 120, depending on your next destination.

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
Wawona
Wawona
UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Death Valley to Yosemite

Thank you both very much for your advice.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Death Valley to Yosemite

Highway 190 west to US395 and south via the route you were given. If you are travelling from the south, definately take 41 north from Fresno! It will put you into Yosemite very near the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias.

Your only other option over the Sierras from Death Valley might be Sonora Pass to the north, but there could be weather considerations if there is a late season storm.

Be sure to visit Artist's Palette while in DV. And, if there is an opportunity to view sunrise from Zabriske Point ... do it. I was there a month ago and those were the highlights of the trip. My daughters even hiked around Artists Palette.

If you have time for a side trip, I recommend driving through Kings Canyon/Sequoia. The only alteration you would need from the route to Yosemite would be to go east at Visalia, California. HWY 180 goes through the parks and out to Fresno.

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
Visalia
Visalia
California
5. Re: Drive from Death Valley to Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 03:16