We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TO Yosemite / FROM Fresno

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
TO Yosemite / FROM Fresno

We'll be in Fresno next weekend (5/5-6), and we were hoping to stop by Yosemite on the way back to SF. How far is Yosemite (south entrance) from Fresno? What's in the south entrance?...scenicwise? Would we be exiting through I-140 or I-120

Would it be a long day trip if we don't stop to sleep a night?

Thanks for all your assistance/suggestion.

tuftravelers

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TO Yosemite / FROM Fresno

I don’t know exactly where in Fresno you will begin but let’s say in general it will take you an hour, maybe a little more, to get to the entrance. From there you can visit the Mariposa Grove, which is close to the South Entrance. You can walk to the nearby trees or you can take a tram tour.

From there you can drive to Wawona and visit the village area or just appreciate it from your car because you can’t wait to get to the valley. The next possibility is Glacier Point. You can detour off the main road and drive up there to take in the views if you wish. Going back to the main road, you can continue toward the valley. You will come out of the tunnel to a really wonderful view. Pull over to the viewing area on your left.

When you get to the valley, you can see all the usual sights and then exit via 140 along the Merced River or via 120 through Groveland. The length of your day will depend on what you decide to include during your visit. If you drive directly to the valley and skip all the other sights, you will significantly shorten your day.

Yosemite / Sierra...
Level Contributor
560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TO Yosemite / FROM Fresno

Fresno to Yosemite's southern entrance via HWY 41 is about a 75 minute drive. It is then about 2 miles to the Mariposa Giant Sequoia Grove. After that you should drive to the Valley which is about another 45 minutes. To head for SF you can leave via HWY 140 or HWY 120 - both are nice, although I am partial to HWY 140. In order to have a full day in the Park, I would opt to stay in Mariposa or Groveland before heading back to SF. Although depending on where in SF, it is only a 3 to 4 hour drive back to the Bay Area.

Enjoy your trip!

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TO Yosemite / FROM Fresno

Great describtions suzie-travels & Go2Yosemite. Thanks!

It's been awhile since we've been to Yosemite (about 3 or 4 years now, YIKES!). Usually the north entrance is where we enter from, but since we're down in the south end we figured why not. AND WHY NOT! We're looking forward to the trip, seeing new sites of Yosemite. We'll more likely exit through I-120, just to stay stay in the park longer.

Thanks again,

tuftravelers

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TO Yosemite / FROM Fresno

I have a brother in Fresno, and we've done this... it's a very LONG day...think of it a adding at least 4 hours to your return to SF (more if you actually bother to stop and enjoy the scenery a bit!) but if you're up for it, it's do-able.

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TO Yosemite / FROM Fresno

One other question...What time does the park open?...isn't it also a $25 entrance fee?

Thanks again,

tuftravelers

Yosemite / Sierra...
Level Contributor
560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TO Yosemite / FROM Fresno

The Park is open 24/7. There may not be anyone to take your money if you arrive after the staff at the entrance booth has gone home for the day. So it this happens they collect your fee upon leaving. So you pay when arriving or when leaving - either way works. That said, the $20 pass is good for 7 days. And you need to show the pass at the entrance gate when arriving and when leaving, which is one of the reasons it is best to leave the Park after 5PM each day to avoid the lines at the gates.

Enjoy your visit!

7. Re: TO Yosemite / FROM Fresno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 05:28