We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bears

west midlands
Level Contributor
112 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
bears

Thanks for the reply! I asked again because no-one had actually replied to this specific question- I think it's quite exciting, but as there's one of me and three male members of my family who aren't convinced, I am looking for reassurance for them.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
406 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bears

There were some replies in one of your other posts. You probably missed them.

Of the two options I mentioned, I personally would tie a string with some bells to the bear-proof canister.

Book the tent cabin as soon as possible! Keep checking the reservation Web site. You might get lucky and be able to switch to accommodation with bath.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bears

I have seen bears in pretty all the places I've visited in the Sierra Nevada. Tahoe, Mammoth and Yosemite. Once when camping in Tahoe bears came right into our campsite and ravaged the ice chests. They were not at all interested in us and all we had to do was bang some flip flops together and they ran off. We were in tents. A thin piece of nylon and some zoippers is all that was between us and the bears. The following summer Tahoe campgrounds got really strict about where you could store food and installed bear boxes at each site. Also in Tahoe and Mammoth they walk down the streets and pay no attention to humans. Even a mom bear with cubs doesn't threaten humans if they make no move toward her cubs. They've really learned to coexists. They remind me alot of scavanging dogs. They are black bears and are not like the bears in the movies. They are looking for an easy meal and they'd rather move on and find some quickly than bother with you in your tent cabin. Store everything in the bear box including any tioletries. Leave nothing in your car including empty ice chests. They know what's stored in those and will break into a car to see what's in one.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't heard of a bear in Yosemite attacking anyone in their tent cabin. You have a very good chance of not seeing any bears during your visit as they are being re educated not to think of Yosemite as a food source.

No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bears

Yes I believe I replied to the early post. Basically the park brochure given when you pay to enter the park explains in detail how to avoid bear encounters. You do not need to worry about bears in your tent or in your room if you follow all the instructions around using the bear lockers. If you stay in the tent cabins the bear lockers are small and will only hold a very small cooler (6 pack) and one bag of groceries. You also need to keep your toiletries in the bear lockers at night. Again follow the guidelines and you should have a safe and wonderful vacation!.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bears

Hi Jules,

We are just back from 3 days in Yosemite. We didnt camp but we saw the tents in Curry village. There is information everywhere on how to deal with bears and as it has been previously said they arent interested in you.

As long as you follow the guidelines you will be fine.

Yosemite is a wonderful place and any pictures that you see dont do it justice. We managed to see bears one nite when we were driving out of the park and stopped to take photos of them! They turned looked at us and carried on eating but we made sure that we didnt go too close.

Enjoy

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bears

jules,

It is very unllikely you will even see a bear. At night, they are mostly out in the parking lot, looking for food that some foolish person might have left in the car.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
138 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bears

Aside from luring bears to your campground with food, where is the best place in the park to see bears naturally? At what time of the day?

Last year in Yellowstone, we saw many Griz but never any black bears.

Thanks,

Gil

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bears

Your male family members can rest well with the assurance that utilizing the tent cabins will not be a problem as long as rules are followed.

Since you can't cook in that area, you won't have much food to worry about. Each cabin has it's own designated bear box near the parking lot ... a very short walk away. Traveling by air, I can't imagine that you will be bringing a cooler with you.

I've done a lot of bear awareness work. A poem I wrote was utilized in ranger training and public programs in Sequoia/Kings Canyon. I've written about bears in Yosemite, as well. The reason anything with a scent has to be secured is that bears have an incredible sense of smell ... they are voracious eaters of things that seem new. And, they are great opportunists. Don't give them the opportunity to get into trouble and they won't be a problem for you.

Bear encounters can be quite exciting when they happen in the normal course of events. Near Bridalveil Falls some years ago, my nephew almost ran into a bear (it was coming down the hill and he was on the trail - a rock created a blind spot for both of them). We reported the incident.

It turns out that YELLOW47 had been a problem bear in the past. By knowing that she was trying to behave in the most natural manner available, rangers were willing to give her chances they otherwise wouldn't have. A few years ago, she was spotted with a cub. By now, if she has been able to stay out of trouble, she would have had another litter.

Every visitor to Yosemite is part of the bear mangement team. Rangers can't be everywhere. When visitors report what ever behavior they witness, good or bad, it enables rangers to help the bears lead a natural life.

Has anyone told you about the trails down from Glacier Point to the valley floor? There is one your boys might enjoy. Letting them hike down would give you some private time in a wonderful place. Or. if there is an astronomy programat Glacier Point one evening, you could make a half day out of it. Have a sunset picnic watching the shadows climb up the face of Half dome and then see more stars than you could ever imagine.

One of my life's great experiences was after an evening photography program at Glacier Point. Suddenly, we saw a bright streak across the night sky. It was the MIR spacestation with the Columbia shuttle docked together.

I'd be glad to help you with any other information you need.

8. Re: bears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 19:18