We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariposa Grove or Tuolumne Grove

Atlanta
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Topic

Which atraction is better?

We´ll probably be nearer to Tuolumne Grove (Evergreen Lodge), then if we don't go to Mariposa Grove, do we miss a lot?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,064 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mariposa Grove or Tuolumne Grove

I just did a description of these two in a thread whose title is 'giant redwoods'. You should be able to find it easily, I think.

Basically, Mariposa is more visited, I think, because Tuoiomne requires a mile long hike down 700 feet and back up. Mariposa has a couple of famous big trees, Grizzly Giant, the eldest, at 30 + feet diameter in girth. 210 feet high, and California Tree, at 232 feet.. Mariposa also has an interesting museum about the giant sequoias and a tram which takes you to the upper grove, not accessible by auto.

It is at the southern edge of the park however, but an easy 36 mile paved road from Yosemite Valley. There are also tours to this from the Valley.

I think I would do Mariposa, if you haven't seen the trees before and don't know about them.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
406 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mariposa Grove or Tuolumne Grove

Mariposa is a much larger grove of sequoias. It gets my vote, if you haven't seen the big trees before.

What you might want to do is drive to Wawona, park near the Wawona Store, and take the free shuttle bus to the Mariposa Grove.

Then, take the tram tour of the grove. You can either take the tour back to the starting point or you can leave the tour near the top of the grove and walk back down to the parking lot.

The parking lot at the Mariposa Grove is small; the road to the grove sometimes closes off-and-on during the day because there aren't any parking spaces.

Enjoy your visit to Yosemite.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mariposa Grove or Tuolumne Grove

The easier/larger grove would be the Mariposa Grove. Any mature giant sequoia is worth experiencing! There is more information available about the trees at Mariposa. The road is an easy one. I agree with the recommendation to park at Wawona and take the shuttle over to the grove. The tram tour is well worth the price. And the walk downfrom the museum is relatively easy ... or get back on a tram and ride down!

If you were planning on driving to Glacier Point, you wouldn't be far at all from Wawona. I usually combine the Mariposa Grove with a picnic at Glacier Point in the afternoon. Watching the shadows creep up the face of Half Dome is an incredible experience.

I wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to see a grove of the biggest trees on Earth!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mariposa Grove or Tuolumne Grove

Thank you! We'll take the Mariposa Grove tour.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mariposa Grove or Tuolumne Grove

I wwas in Tuolomne Grove 3 weeks ago. I know it's smaller, but it's a very beautiful and peaceful place. The tunnel tree evokes sadness.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mariposa Grove or Tuolumne Grove

Johnbrave- as long as you have the time, I would recommend the Mariposa Grove, because it is larger and has the tram tour. For those with only a day or two, especially if they are driving in or out on 120, the Tuolumne Grove is a good alternative, a beautiful grove of trees, with a tunnel tree that's still standing. However, it does involve a steep but short hike on a paved road.

7. Re: Mariposa Grove or Tuolumne Grove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 23:16