We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half dome hike..

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Half dome hike..

HI,

I am planning a hike to half dome in July...I've read many articles on alot of sights about the difficulty and requirements of this adventure. I understand the need for water, but am curious as to why no one recommends drinking Gatorade. or some sort of sports drink...wouldn't these be better ??........Thanks so much for any input...

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half dome hike..

Gatorade, etc should be fine after sweating all day. IMO, though, it makes me want to vomit. After (not before or during!) a good workout, I like drinking pop. There's plenty of sodium in that.

conn
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half dome hike..

While you are hiking its better to drink plain water. Gatorade works better as a recovery drink at longer breaks or at the end of the day.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half dome hike..

Along with water on such a hike, a snack with some good salt content always helps. Saltines, pretzels, cheese, trail mix, jerky all fit that bill. You should be packing a lunch anyway. The 8 miles each way will take a while.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half dome hike..

Good advice on the water, snacks, lunch!

Get an early start and take a flashlight just in case. Some people we were camping next to were delayed on the return from Half Dome and it got dark. Using the lights on their wristwatches, they finally got back to camp around midnight.

Remember, you start the hike at an elevation of 4,000 feet. If you are not aclimated, the elevation gain on the hike will get to you.

It's better to be safe than sorry!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
406 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Half dome hike..

Doug,

The hike takes approximately 12 hours. Even if you were to bring Gatorade, you would probably still need to obtain properly-filtered water out of a stream.

You wouldn't want to carry several bottles of Gatorade in your daypack.

NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half dome hike..

Hey,

I want to thank everyone for their input. This is a great sight. Thanks again ...

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half dome hike..

Up for one more suggestion? Along with the flashlights, be sure you have something to eat stored at your room or campsite (in bear lockers, of course.) We also had a friend who returned later than planned- after dark and after all the stores and restaurants closed, and was, of course, famished! He had neither flashlights nor food waiting, and let me tell you, he had a miserable evening.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Half dome hike..

The Cables were just put up last weekend making this difficult trek just a little bit more possible.

Have a great hike!

Superior, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Half dome hike..

I've done the Half Dome hike twice myself. The first time I packed way too much food...you mainly want to ensure you have lots of water. (And I mean A LOT.) I also was able to bum some filtered water on they way down since I didn't want to buy a filtration device.

I would recommend trail mix, 1-2 energy bars, some crackers and maybe one sandwich. It is best to get up early (yes, 5:30am is good!) to start the hike. We have always stayed at Housekeeping Camp when doing the hike since we've been part of a large group.

You'll be surprised how many people will be out there doing this hike, and would recommend to do early June or wait until September due to it being easier in cool weather. I've usually gone up using Vernal/Nevada Falls trail and used John Muir trail for descent to somewhat save my knees. When you get to the cables, there are usually gloves stored near the base of the cables, it really helps. Might also want to bring a pair just to be sure.

I have been lucky to not really need a flashlight since I started out early and usually hike locally to prepare. In my opinion, it is more of an endurance hike than anything. (Mt. Diablo is my definition of very strenuous due to %grade!) Just pace yourself, take rests, and be sure to drink your water. I would only bring a small container of gatorade and the rest water.

Have fun, it's a great experience and view!

Judy

NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Half dome hike..

Lots of GREAT advice---Thanks !!