We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tioga Pass closed- Snow

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tioga Pass closed- Snow

Due to a cold storm that dumped too much snow on hwy 120, they have closed Tioga Pass. I am sure it will be open again once they get the snow removal equipment operating. My calendar says it is still summer!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tioga Pass closed- Snow

I was wondering if this littel stom system that's passing through was going to affect Tioga Pass- go figure! It's still Sept.! Just goes to show how little we can predict such things for our visitors...

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tioga Pass closed- Snow

Wow! i jsut heard there is a dusitn of snow on Donner Summit too!

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tioga Pass closed- Snow

It is open once again, but hwy 108 is still closed at this moment, and they had chain requirements for hwy. 88 and hwy 4 for a time. There is still some storm activity in the high Sierra Nevada mountains, and it is cold.

I imagine in a few days everything will be back to normal for this time of the year.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,080 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tioga Pass closed- Snow

The weather forecast at 6:00 p.m. called for rain in the Bay Area, heavier on Saturday, which means snow in the mountains.

The prediction is for snow at 7500' and above, which means places like Tuolumne Meadows and Tioga Pass

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tioga Pass closed- Snow

I imagine there are some very cold, wet and miserable campers at Tuolumne Meadows and the other high country campgrounds. In fact campers in the Yosemite Valley must also be cold and miserable.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tioga Pass closed- Snow

Its all nice and sunny right now (Friday morning, 8:20am), but the forecast is for more wet later this afternoon and on Saturday.

All roads into and around Yosemite are currently open.

NL
Level Contributor
914 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tioga Pass closed- Snow

Can you confirm Tiogapass is open again?

Friends are on their way and will be there in a few days...

Hope they can drive over the pass.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tioga Pass closed- Snow

inevd, don't rely on someone on a website for critical information such as that.

Instead, go to an official source:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/

NL
Level Contributor
914 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tioga Pass closed- Snow

OK, I will check that website and hope Tioga will stay open for a few more days...

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tioga Pass closed- Snow

Another quick way to find information if you don't have access to a computer, perhaps you are on the road already...209-372-0200 option 1 then 1 again for roads, 2 for weather.

Yesterday couldn't have been more lovely. Today they are expecting rain/snow....and it is raining in Groveland. Webcams do not currently show any new snow off of Sentinal Dome or the Valley. Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit overcast and the rest of the week back to lovely.