We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a grill

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Using a grill

I have searched for this on TA but haven't seen this mentioned.

Is it all right to cook out on grills (charcoal type) or is there a fire

hazard restriction? We plan to picnic, do our own breakfasts, etc.

In the evening it would be nice to grill a steak or hamburger. Also,

do the cabins or picnic areas have grills? I was thinking about

buying one of the disposable types at WalMart.

Please give me your thoughts and experiences.

thanks!

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using a grill

Where are you staying? And when are you going?

Some of the campgrounds have fire rings and the note below is from the NPS Yosemite website. It also depends on when you are going and how dry it is, because even with a grill or fire ring, on hot dry summer days , they will post a "No fire" restriction if there is a high chance of fire spread.

" Limit your use of wood fires. Campfires are not allowed above 9600' due to wood scarcity and potential resource damage. Below 9600', they may be built in existing fire rings. Burn only dead and down wood. Please use stoves when ever possible."

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using a grill

As mentioned above, it depends on where you are staying. If you are in Curry Village, there is no grilling/cooking permitted. In you are in any of the campgrounds or Housekeeping Camp, you will have a campfire ring with a grill on top.

There are grills available at some of the Yosemite Valley picnic areas. These include the Swinging Bridge picnic area on the south side of the Valley, and the El Capitan picnic area on the north side of the Valley. Swinging Bridge tends to be more crowded because it's right next to the river. You can set up your own grill at the Church Bowl picnic area, which is between the Village Store area and the Ahwahnee Hotel. All of these areas are first come first serve.

For more detailed info, if you leave a voicemail at the primary public information line 209-372-0200 they should be able to mail you a map showing all of the picnic areas, and ask which ones have grills. If you get really lucky you might even get a live person.

You may already know this, but a heads up, if you are grilling/cooking anywhere in the Park, please keep your food and trash within arms reach at allllllll times, day or night. This will discourage bears from trying to take your food. Yosemite bears are smart, and will approach any coolers, food, or trash out of arms reach, even if you are still close by. Also when you visit, know that you cannot leave any food, drinks, or other scented objects in your car at night. If you are staying in a tent cabin in Curry Village or a campground, a food locker will be available to you (make sure you know the size so you don't bring too much food). If you're staying in a hard sided cabin or hotel in the Park, you can leave your food in there with windows closed. All of this will help keep you safe, and help Park staff keep the bears wild.

Mentioned in this post
Housekeeping Camp
Housekeeping Camp
801 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,752 Reviews
El Capitan
El Capitan
1,103 Reviews
The Village Lodge
The Village Lodge
892 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using a grill

racine-lighthouse & marmot1995,

I do not know when we are going but hopefully when we go it will

be in Oct. I also am not sure about where we will stay, but I would like a hard sided cabin in Curry Village, so I guess that leaves

out the grilling!

I do appreciate all of your infomation. Each national park we visit

has different rules and I want to make sure we follow them,

especially those dealing with fire.

When we do get our dates in place, I will double check about grilling

locations and any fire restrictions.

Thanks to you both for the time you take in answering these questions.

Come see north Georgian sometime!

4. Re: Using a grill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 20:16