We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite reservations

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite reservations

Having just finished planning a trip to Yellowstone, I am now on the mission to plan a summer 2009 trip to Yosemite and Napa Valley.

Does Yellowstone have in-park lodging facilities?

I know in Yellowstone it is advisable to make reservations a year in advance. Is it the same in Yosemite?

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite reservations

Hi pozj,

From what I am finding out, it is best to book lodging early at Yosemite for the best choice. You can book 1 year out. Here is a link to the web site for in park lodging: www.yosemitepark.com/Accommodations.aspx

There is also a web site for lodging out side of the park:

While The Ahwahnee looks great, it is beyond my price range. Maybe the other members can sugest which would be the best choice.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite reservations

As mentioned above, if you're going to visit in the summer, and you want to stay inside the Park, then yes, I would make reservations as soon as the system allows you...especially if you want something with a private bathroom (i.e. as opposed to a community bathroom).

As far as inside the Park, there aren't a huge number of options. If you're looking for a standard hotel experience in Yosemite Valley, Yosemite Lodge is probably your place. It's not all that exciting, but it is a clean standard room. Oh...and keep in mind that rooms don't have air conditioning...and it can get hot. It does cool down at night, but sometimes this is a problem for visitors. You'll want to try one of the hotels outside the Park if air conditioning is high on your list of priorities (it's not humid, just hot).

Your next best option would probably be a hard sided cabin in Curry Village, which is usually where I end up because it's less expensive than the Lodge. Again, just a decently tidy room and ok beds. You are essentially paying for location/convenience. Also...if you stay in the Park in summer...be prepared for massive crowds. Sometimes staying outside will get you a little bit calmer experience, but then you'll have to do extra driving. Just depends on what you want.

Congratulations to another in-advance-planner!! It will really make your trip a lot more enjoyable. happy planning.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite reservations

You may want to check this article about lodging choices in and near Yosemite, found in the Yosemite National Park overview section here at TA: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c59487/Yosemit…

You are wise to plan ahead, but remember that reservations IN the park are available one year ahead. I'd add that the most "standard" lodging within the park itself is the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, a motel/lodge accommodation located right next to Yosemite Falls. Look for a lodge or family room rather than the standard rooms, which are smaller and don't have balconies.

Level Contributor
1,411 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite reservations

I Pozj, you helped me on the Yellowstone site. You will love Yosemite. Yes, they have in park lodging and you should definitely try to stay in the park. It's about an hour from the entrance gate to the actual Valley. It is even harder to get lodging in Yosemite than Yellowstone so you are wise to plan ahead. I believe the reservations open up a year and a day in advance so if you know your dates, try to plan to call on the day they open up, it's not uncommon for peak times to have most of the lodging with bathrooms gone pretty quickly. I always stay in Curry Village, I like the location and more rustic feel. The cabins with bath are very simple but should be fine. They also have motel like units in Curry Village that I think have telephones if that matters. I haven't stayed in Yosemite Village in a long time but I think the lodging there is now called Yosemite at the Falls, it is a busier location but very central, great view of the falls, and I think the lodging is a bit more like a motel. The Ahwanhee is wonderful, definitely visit it when you are there(I got married there), but pretty pricey. I've never stayed at the Wawona but it is not in the central location of the other three. The falls are best in Spring and early summer, by late summer they can be pretty dried up, but anytime you go the area is worth it. Don't miss Glacier Point or the Mariposa Grove of Sequoia's. If you can book during the week it's better than the very crowded weekends. Feel free to message me if you want info on the park.

5. Re: Yosemite reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 23:16