We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sensible Itinerary?

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
341 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Sensible Itinerary?

We were planning on coming to Yosemite in December of 2007 but decided to postpone it until "Waterfall Season". Now we're arriving in May and I wanted to run this itinerary by the experts on this forum to see if you think this is trying to do too much in too little time...

Flying into Fresno May 17th and departing May 26th:

4 nights Yosemite (figured this would be enough since Tioga Pass Road will be closed)

2 nights Lake Tahoe

2 nights Seq. and King's Canyon National Park (ending it here since I read these parks didn't get as crowded, so Memorial Day weekend might be a little less hectic)

1 night Fresno before flight

Thank you for any help.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sensible Itinerary?

Sequoia is pretty close to Fresno, if you don't want to spend a night in a "City" hotel/motel, you might extend your trip by one more day on the road. I would suggest adding a day in Gold Country, along highway 49 before you go to Sequoia to break up what will be a bit of a long driving day, then move your Sequoia night out one and drive directly to the airport from there.

Look at Murphys or Columbia for Gold country experiences, one is a wine town with lots to do and great shops, very scenic (Murphys.) Look at the City Hotel for a classic gold country visit in Columbia. You will be able to try panning for gold, perhaps get held up in a stagecoach robbery...kind a cool.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sensible Itinerary?

Sounds like a lovely vacation. I like HC's suggestion for a night in the gold country, too. This is the time of year when the hills are green and flowers are blooming, and the gold country is looking lovely. You could even (dare I say it?) shorten Yosemite by one night in order to have the extra night on the way back from Tahoe.

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
341 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sensible Itinerary?

Thank you HotelCharlotte and macjack. I appreciate your help!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sensible Itinerary?

Why not consider Tahoe first? That way you won't have to backtrack past Yosemite on your way to Kings Canyon/Sequoia.

You could enter Yosemite from the northwest, past Crane Flat, enjoy your stay and drive out the south end.

There's a great little place called the Blossom Trail fruit stand where you can buy fruit straight from the grove for $1 a pound. It's on hwy 180 between Fresno and the Kings Canyon entrance ... can't miss it!

Where are you staying in Kings Canyon/Sequoia, might I ask?

Also, since you have options regarding what to see, I'd choose the Grant and Giant Forest groves of Giant Sequoias over the Mariposa Grove ... but only if you have to leave something out ... all three are worth the time. A few years ago, the second largest branch on the largest sequoia (General Sherman tree)broke off. You really need to see that!

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
341 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sensible Itinerary?

Thank you so much, Xochipilli.

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to thank you for your reply.

We have already made reservations and decided that it made more sense not to backtrack, just as you advised against. But we are doing it in the reverse order:

2 nights in Kings Canyon/Sequoia (in John Muir Lodge)

4 nights Yosemite near El Portal entrance

2 nights Lake Tahoe (did Priceline, wanted the Hyatt at Incline Village but won Resort at Squaw Creek which also looks nice)

1 night Fresno before our flight out at 6am

The gold rush country that were suggested sounded very good but I figured on this first trip we'd just concentrate on Yosemite. It is the principle reason for this trip- the others are just icing on the cake for us. :-) And yes, we definitely plan on seeing all three groves of sequoias. We rented a National Geographic dvd (just viewed it this afternoon) "The Hidden Treasures of Yosemite" that sadly spoke about global warming's potential negative effect on these giants - about how with higher temps and less water avail. they may not be able to sustain the massive quanities of water they need to live. Sad and makes us even more determined to see them, we maybe among the last generations able to enjoy them...

Thanks again, all.

6. Re: Sensible Itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 17:16