We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone ever rent a VW camper van?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone ever rent a VW camper van?

I came across an article in about.com about renting a VW Westfalia camper van in Redwood City. I was surprised that they actually fit 2 double beds, plus a tiny cooking area. Base price is $109 plus extra for unlimited mileage, supplies, etc. Has anyone ever tried these? And can campsites that accomodate these vans be found around Yosemite?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,504 posts
5,363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone ever rent a VW camper van?

As long as you like "somewhat cramped quarters"...i.e. sleeping, tiny cooking area....they are fine.

VWs however sometimes have the reputation of "put-putting it up the Sierra mountain" roads so as long as you don't want a super speed car it will do. VW tries to address it but we usually see a VW bus and then hope to go around it since we know it will be a little slower. As long as that does not bother you, they are fine.

The key thing is that campsites in Yosemite are as hard to come by as lodging. You can hope for reservations on the Yosemite National Park site...

http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/camping.htm

When are you planning to visit as that may make a difference. There are national forest campgrounds and some private campgrounds in the Mammoth Lakes/June Lake Loop region (east site of the Yosemite Park.)

cityconcierge.com/activities/camping.shtml

salt lake city, utah
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone ever rent a VW camper van?

I am owner of Western Road Trips where we have been renting VW camper vans in Salt Lake City, Utah to travelers from around the globe since 2003.

We currently rent the newer VW Eurovan Westfalia Weekender vans. Our vans are nearly 20 years newer than other VW vans for rent and are equipped with over 200 horsepower engines so there is no "putt putting" necessary. They have a pop up roof, two beds, a nice seating area around a table and interior lights and full curtains to keep the early morning sun out for a full nights sleep. We provide a camp stove, cooler, and necessary cooking utensils for cooking at the campsite. We are not very close to Yosemite but it is a nice two day drive with a night of camping Great Basin National Park along the way. Both myself and my clients have explored Arches, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Moab in our vans which are perfect March through May and September through November. I have had many enjoyable trips over sunny weekends to some of these areas in the dead of winter and enjoyed uncrowded trails and campgrounds and warm days. In the summer our clients usually explore Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier and other points in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Colorado and the high country here in Utah. Our vans are smaller than most SUV's so they are allowed in tent campsites so you won't have to camp in a sea of huge RV's with no view and little nature. Learn more at www.westernroadtrips.com.

If you usually camp in a tent, VW vans will be luxury. If you usually stay in hotels, they will allow you to get a more natural experience without sleeping on the ground and totally "roughing it". If you usually drive a big RV, you will enjoy 20 MPG, the ease of to parallel parking and unrestricted access to back roads but you will probably feel cramped at night and miss the on board kitchen, toilet and tv.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pete

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone ever rent a VW camper van?

Hmmm, the original posting here is over three years old . . .

4. Re: Anyone ever rent a VW camper van?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 13:16