We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heat worse in july or august?

san jose, CA
2 posts
Save Topic
heat worse in july or august?

We have family visiting from back east, and some are concerned about the high temperatures in Yosemite in August. I checked one site, and it looks as though, on average, August may be a bit cooler the July. I know it's a dry heat, so the shade is much cooler than on the humid east coast. Any advice?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: heat worse in july or august?

You'll be happy to be up in Yosemite after the heat of the Central Valley. Don't stay down there in towns like Fresno or Modesto. Don't stay anywhere under 2000 feet elevation. Yosemite Valley is 4000 feet elevation and will be cooler than the Central valley below. Go up to Tuolumne Meadows if you need it cooler, it'll be chilly up there at night.

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
Modesto
Modesto
California
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,713 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Tuolumne Meadows
Tuolumne Meadows
483 Reviews
Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: heat worse in july or august?

The Western Regional Climate Center says that the average max temperature for Yosemite in July is 89, August is 89, and September is 84. So I think you'll be fine. This was for the park headquarters site. You can view the data at: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?cayose+nca

I agree with the previous poster, any of the Central Valley towns will be sweltering!!

Mentioned in this post
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
363 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: heat worse in july or august?

www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php… - this link is from the national weather service for yosemite valley - and it was running in the 100's last week - but has "cooled" now to in the 90"s. I've been concered too - as will be there on 8-5/6 and have asthma that the heat could bother, but will be looking around and in other elevations to that will help. If the higher elevations don't bother the asthma too much.

enjoy your trip - we are from Kansas and have very high humidity -

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: heat worse in july or august?

-kc-opk,

We generally don't have much humidity here in CA, so 90s aren't too bad compared to y'all's humidity and heat. You will probably do just fine. It is a higher elevation in Yosemite, and varies in elevation within the park. Make sure to bring an inhaler if you use one, just in case. And if you get hot, cool off in the Merced River. Bring some aquasocks or river sandals, though, the Merced has a rocky bottom. Or hang out under the big trees, it's cooler there too! Have a good time! The waterfalls are SPECTACULAR this year because the mountains had so much snow, so you are really coming at a good time.

Mentioned in this post
NJ
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: heat worse in july or august?

While a previous poster said to go up to Tuolumne Meadows (high elevation) for cooler temps, just a note that at that very high elevation, the air is very thin and the breathing is difficult. Someone with asthma may have a very hard time up there. I would check with your doctor before you go. My husband has is on blood pressure medication, and had a very hard time with the elevation. In fact, I didn't feel well either, and I don't have the blood pressure problem (or asthma). We were fine in the Valley and where we stayed in Fish Camp... It also effected us a lot up at Glacier Point...

Mentioned in this post
Tuolumne Meadows
Tuolumne Meadows
483 Reviews
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
3,999 Reviews
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
363 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: heat worse in july or august?

thanks all - don't plan to go up that high - we are going to glacier point however, but don't think it will be a problem. won't be doing any hiking so to speak - just walking around areas that we want to see...and will ride the local transport for a tour of the valley....

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: heat worse in july or august?

Hey, kc- just got back from a week in Yosemite yesterday. Have you made your reservations? The weather was warm to hot, but manageable, and of course, the river is a great way to cool off! The late rains have left the meadows much greened and thicker than usual, and while the waterfalls are fuller than a normal August, they're well past their peak. Still great to see, however!

Mentioned in this post
Indy
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: heat worse in july or august?

Went there in mid-July. HOT!!! We stayed in Yosemite West, which is pretty high up in elevation. No A/C there ... or anywhere else for that matter. Had fans blowing all night.

Watch out for the mosquitos that come out around 5:00. They'll leave welts on your skin.

Good news -- best vacation ever. Try to get to Merced and go whitewater rafting. Watch out for rattlers at Hetch Hetchy.

Mentioned in this post
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: heat worse in july or august?

In fact, if you don't like the heat- stay away from Hetch-hetchy. It's OK but not on my must-see list. And I hate snakes!!

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: heat worse in july or august?

Apollo, we are going in a week and a half and staying in Yosemite West. Is there anywhere for the kids to wade or swim near there if they get really hot?

Mentioned in this post