We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June visit

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
June visit

We are trying to put together a trip to Yosemite in early June. My husband and I are traveling with another couple. We are flying from Pittsbugh and we need some advice as to where we should fly into.We want to visit Yosemite, Lake Tahoe and Sequoia National Park. We will have a week to 10 days to visit. We have already visited San Francisco so we are looking for something different. What do you recommend as an itinerary? Any suggestions for accomodations in these areas? We greatly appreciate some advice as this is a whole new area to us.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June visit

You can certainly fly to/from Sacramento (SMF) instead of San Francisco/Oakland thereby avoiding Bay area traffic and saving some mileage. Fresno (FAT) is another option as it is closer to Yosemite and much closer to Sequoia. Or perhaps flying to Sacramento and from Fresno. Be sure to get your Yosemite Valley lodging ( www.yosemitepark.com ) as it books up way in advance. Old Town Sacramento and the Railroad museum there are well worth visiting.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June visit

I forgot to mention Reno (RNO) which is close to Lake Tahoe.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
689 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June visit

I can't say exactly where you should fly in and out of, but if you do plan to visit Lake Tahoe, I'd suggest driving around the lake, taking a tour of Vikingsholm and maybe even taking a boat tour (the Tahoe Queen comes to mind). A side trip from Lake Tahoe is Carson City and Virgina City. Virginia City is a restored mining/ghost town and is a lot of fun. It's very touristy, but still fun.

I would definitely get reservations for Yosemite accommodations as soon as possible. How you do your flights may determine which place you visit first, but remember that Yosemite is in the middle, with Sequoia to the south and Tahoe to the North. Yosemite and Sequoia are about 4 hours apart and Tahoe is about 4 1/2 hours from Yosemite. Hwy 395 from Tahoe to Lee Vining and over Tioga Pass is the most scenic route.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June visit

Thanks for the info. If I would do Carson City..and then Lake Tahoe and then Yosemite, would I be best to fly into Reno?

Ohio
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: June visit

You may want to be careful about planning your route between Tahoe and Yosemite in early June. Its likely to be OK, but there have been several years recently when the Tioga Road didn't open until mid to late June due to snow. If the Tioga Road is closed there's really no other route that isn't a very long detour.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June visit

Do you have any reccommendations for lodging at Yosemite? We are 2 couples traveling together and we don't mind sharing accomodations to cut down on costs.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June visit

most folks like to stay in the park, www.yosemitepark.com will give you the official website for in-park reservations. Look at the reviews on this website to choose the style of lodging most to your liking.

If you find that the price/amenities aren't to your budget, you always get more value staying outside the park (you add commute time though) www.StayNearYosemite.com can give you some great options along the Groveland route into the park.

Have a wonderful holiday!

8. Re: June visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 06:22