We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow and Tioga Pass

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Snow and Tioga Pass

Yesterday I checked the camera located at Tioga Pass.

…ucsd.edu/tioga/tioga/tioga_currenta.jpg

It looked like the snow was up to the roof level of the Tioga Pass entrance booth. I was trying to figure out really how deep the snow is? I am 6 feet tall and would not hit the bottom of the roof, so I am figuring the depth at 6.5 feet.+ ??? Anyone else have a guess? It is really piling up at the high elevation.

More snow is on the way, so an early opening does not look possible at this point.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow and Tioga Pass

That's at 10,000 feet and they don't plow the road. I'd guess 7 to 8 feet snow depth depending where on the roof the snow is up to.

There's plenty of time before the end of May to see if they can get it open for the season by Memorial Day.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow and Tioga Pass

according to another website that measures the snow and water contecnt etc. it says they have 116 inches or 9.6 feet. I hope we get more snow! We need the water so badly.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow and Tioga Pass

Well, isn't that a lovely picture. Perfect blue skies. I think the photo is showing some drifting in there too and the hill/wall to the right might cause some snow build up, but I am guestimating in the 9-10 foot range...and more to follow!

4. Re: Snow and Tioga Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 10:18