We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curry Village cancellations

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aruba
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Topic
Curry Village cancellations

Posting this for a couple of Dutch friends.

Seems there have been a flurry of cancellations of reservations for Curry Village cabins/tents due to about 300 buildings being closed because of the rockfall of october 2008 (!). People are getting cancellation emails and no real alternative (certainly not inside of the Park) offered.

Anyone on here heard about this? Frankly, IMO this is bad customer service! They've known about the closures for months now and only *now* that it's too late to book some comparable alternative they cancel?

Anyway, any tips?

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Curry Village cancellations

I totally agree about the customer service and waiting until now to let people know. We are going to celebrate my dad's 70th birthday. Luckily, they have 2 nights already booked at the Ahwahnee. It looks like our only option right now is the super expensive Tenaya which is great but $$$$.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Curry Village cancellations

Correct

I received our email this morning.

"In October 2008, Yosemite Valley rock falls occurred in the vicinity of Curry Village that prompted National Park Service (NPS) and independent geologists to conduct studies in the area. The results of those studies recommended the permanent closure of 234 visitor accommodations, and the NPS has formally closed those units from guest use.

Subsequent to the closure, we have been working with the NPS to replace approximately one-half of the units lost in another area adjacent to Curry Village; that plan is not final. As of today, there simply are not enough units to accommodate all of the guests that made reservations within Curry Village.

At this point, we regret to notify you this loss in overnight accommodations will probably affect your upcoming visit to Yosemite. It is imperative that you contact us and be prepared to discuss the following options:

Downgrade your accommodation to a different Curry Village room type.

Select new dates for your reservation at Curry Village (based on availability).

Select new dates for your reservation at an alternate Yosemite property (based on availability).

Cancel this year's reservation and rebook for summer 2010.

Cancel this year's reservation and fully refund your advance deposit.

Relocate your reservation to an alternate property outside the Park (based on availability).

Please contact us immediately at (801) 559-4963 or by email yoseres@dncinc.com.

We greatly appreciate your assistance in helping us resolve this unfortunate situation and thank you for your understanding.

At Your Service,

Yosemite Reservations "

I have emailed, will wait for a response before looking at alternatives, but it is disappointing, I booked in December.

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Curry Village cancellations

I received the email this morning as well(4:00am Australia time). I wasn't completely surprised as I had read of the situation with landslides prior to booking a tent - which I was surprised to get. I can certainly understand a delay in notifications while they assessed the situation and attempted to relocate tents etc (assuming this first happened during snow times?). I am disappointed that it has taken until April to notify us, but I've now found accomodation outside the park, and am determined to visit the park in a positive frame of mind and enjoy the experience.

australia
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Curry Village cancellations

Hey Novice Aussies,

Where did you find accommodation and how far from the park. We are coming from Australia and had 2 nights booked in the park also dissappointed about the late notice of cancellations.

Looking for any advice on where else one can stay that is not too far from the park. We are heading from Furnace creek to San Francisco with 2 days planned for Yosemite in between???

Nat

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Curry Village cancellations

Hi Nat, we're heading to Yosemite from a stay at Las Vegas so I looked at the south entrance - Oakhurst. Couldn't find any option via hotwire.com so went and looked in Expedia.com.au. They had about 5 motel options. Now at least we can get up refreshed and head into the park early (instead of our previous itinerary of arriving at the end of our longest drive). We got a room at Shilo Inn Suites for AU$149. Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip too. Jen.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Curry Village cancellations

Be sure to call Yosemite Reservations at (801) 559-4963 with your Reservation#. I was on hold for 30 minutes, but they told me my reservation was safe because enough reservations were cancelled.

Galax VA
Level Contributor
86 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Curry Village cancellations

I received the "dreaded" e-mail yesterday. I spent 30 minutes on hold before reaching a representative. She stated that anyone holding reservations for cabins with baths and without baths (at least during the week I had reserved) were required to cancel their reservations and either reserve for another period or other venue. She also offered to rebook at another hotel but there was nothing available for the time I needed. We have already booked plane tickets and made other arrangements for our June trip so rescheduling was not an option. So, cancelled the reservations and am attempting to find alternatives outside the Park.

It's inconvenient, but that's the way it goes! Mother Nature doesn't care about the inconvenience it causes. It's unfortunate that they waited so long to notify us, but I don't think they had any choice in the matter. Glad to hear some of you were ablel to keep your reservations in the Park. Best of Luck!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Curry Village cancellations

This situation is certainly a pain in the neck (and other body parts) but customer service issues aside, one aspect of doing business in a National Park is dealing with Mother Nature. Yosemite Valley lost entire campgrounds and the tent cabins at Yosemite Lodge after the "100 year flood" showed the fallacy of keeping accommodations too close to the river's edge. Now the rockfall has shown that another area isn't safe for permanent accommodations. This is difficult, since demand for lodging within the valley is so high, but of course, ultimately, it's for the best.

I can only imagine how hard this must be for those with reservations in Curry, and also for the overworked folks answering the phones and having to convey bad news!

I did want to mention for those who are looking for other accommodations, that there is a good page of resources (Where to stay when visiting Yosemite) in the "Before you Go" link to your left that lists all the websites for local accommodations. Most of these places won't show up on an Expedia or hotwire type of search (you will only get locations in Mariposa or Oakhurst there, both of which are OK but still a bit farther than other lodging choices.)

australia
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Curry Village cancellations

Whilst on Hold for one and a half hours (calling from Australia so very expensive) I checked out accommodation at Lee Vining which has some availability on expedia if that helps at all. We were booked inot a tent cabin which apparently has not been affected, the lady told me it was just log cabins.

What a relief for us but I feel for the people affected.

Nat

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Curry Village cancellations

I wanted to correct the information I listed above: the page is called "Places to Stay in and near Yosemite Park" and here's the link to make it easy-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c59487/Yosemit…

Again, the places closest to the park aren't going to show up on a typical travel search engine so I would start by reading through that article and checking out some of the listed websites.

Good luck, all!