We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting YNP end of April

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Topic
visiting YNP end of April

First time visit to YNP and looking for hiking suggestions. I realize there will still be plenty of unaccesible areas because of snow, but still looking forward to moderate hikes and waterfalls! any suggestions??

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting YNP end of April

Very easy and accessible walks up to bridal veil fall and the base of Yosemite falls. Mirror Lake is accessible also and fairly flat along the way. The walk to the base of Vernal Falls will give you some stairs but is quite lovely. This is called mist trail, and you will get wet and then might get cold, but it will be very dramatic and beautiful. Hike this route for as far as you feel comfortable with skill level, elevation and moisture.

Have a wonderful trip!

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting YNP end of April

Thanks! I guess I should change moderate hking to non-snow hiking. I'm up for a challenge, just don't want to hike through lots of snow....

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting YNP end of April

Bring a poncho.

Mist trail as mentioned above is a great option. People have been reaching the top of Nevada Fall without a problem....other than getting soaking wet and it being a tad cold on some days.

Upper Yosemite Fall trail at least to the first view of the waterfall is also a great option. This is 2-3 hour roundtrip, strenuous hike. No snow. Awesome views looking down on the valley, and then puts you right next to the Upper Fall. Up. Hill. Very. Not climbing...just a lot of work. Starts from shuttle stop #7/Camp 4, across the street from Yosemite Lodge. This is actually a very warm trail because it's in the sun, so layers are good for that one (if not outright short sleeves depending on the weather).

And Hetch Hetchy waterfalls! If you have more than one or two days, head there. The gates are open from 7am to 8pm, and Wapama Fall is a moderate 5 mile roundtrip. The mist trail/upper yosemite fall trail will have a fair number of people on them. Wapama Fall trail probably won't. It is an hour and 15 minute drive from Yosemite Valley on hwy 120 to reach the Hetch Hetchy part of the park.

Have fun wherever you end up hiking!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting YNP end of April

What HotelCharlotte and Marmot said! Snow won't be a problem on the mentioned trails unless there's a late storm. Be flexible.

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting YNP end of April

All the suggestions are great! I will be there for 4-5 days and plan to stop at the ranger's stations for tips and suggestions but wanted to get a few ideas before I go. Hoping to camp and hike the whole time. If there are any other activities to suggest please let me know!

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting YNP end of April

79tree, are you looking to car camp or backpack? Just curious.

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting YNP end of April

Just car camping, and planning to stay in one of the lodges the last night, guess I should make a reservation....

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting YNP end of April

Yessss. Make those reservations. Campgrounds were virtually full this past weekend, and all lodging within the park was booked for the weekend. Weekdays are definitely better, but it's getting to that time of year when the park starts becoming busy.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting YNP end of April

If staying in a lodge has to do with access to showers, you should know that showers are available for a fee to anyone, anytime the showers are open.

Also, I just checked the other night for lodging reservations. The best deals included breakfast for two at the Curry Village Pavilion.

The unheated tent cabins had a special going based on the previous night's temperature. You pay a $39 deposit. If the temp was more, you don't pay extra. If the temp was less, you get reimbursed the difference. Normaslly those tent cabins run around $50 this time of year.

Speaking of rangers ... see if you can meet Julia Parker at the Ahwanechee village. If Shelton Johnson is doing his "Buffalo Soldier" program, you'll want to make time for that. Both of them had stories included in the book "Oh, Ranger" which you can probably purchase at the shop inside the visitor center.

I don't know if the backcountry permit office is open, but the main visitor center will have oodles of information

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting YNP end of April

Thanks for the tips, I'll be making my camping reservations tonight, hope it's not too late, yikess!!! I am aware that pay showers available in the park, just thought I'd mix it up with a night at a lodge. Will look into the heated tent cabins. Thanks again! Can't wait!!