We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tioga pass drive

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tioga pass drive

We are coming from Michigan in June and are not used to mountain driving..do you think we should not take Tioga Pass through the park??How scary is it???

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tioga pass drive

It's been a few years since I went over Tioga but it's not scary at all, in fact it's gorgeous!

It's a very good road, but the pass is very high -- almost 10,000 feet -- and, as a result, it's closed much of the year due to snow.

I can get car sick (that's probably more info than you were looking for) but it's not overly twisty or curvy.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tioga pass drive

OK, I am a person who does not like heights or roads with drop-offs.

The Tioga Pass road will not be like Michigan, but it is an excellent and wide road, with curves of comfortable radius. You just don't drive fast on it.

On the other hand, it is gorgeous.

Enjoy.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tioga pass drive

Tioga Pass goes down very steeply on the east end out of the Park boundary towards Lee Vining. There's a gas station there in the middle of nowhere with some pretty good food as gas stations go, and a trampoline. I'm not sure what the connection between food and trampoline is, but the latter is a sure way to lose the first.

If you drive through Yosemite in the middle of the night on Tioga Pass, your headlights will illuminate many field mice darting back and forth across the road, especially near the campsites.

So there's two pieces of useless information for you. It's time for me to go to bed.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: tioga pass drive

If you are driving from Michigan, you will have gone over the Rockies, right?

Tioga is not as bad going up as coming down. It's only a tiny bit scary for one segment. But the road is wide and well maintained.

As a kid, we went down Tioga Pass before it was paved. It was a gravel road without guardrails- just a pile of some rubble along the side of the road. Guess which kid had to sit on the right side of the car with my Dad very nervously driving our ancient station wagon? << cough, showing my age, cough>>

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: tioga pass drive

The gas station is the Whoa Nellie Deli. It is a MUST for a great meal or sandwiches.

http://www.whoanelliedeli.com/

Michigan
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: tioga pass drive

sorry, I forgot to mention,,,we are flying into reno and driving west from Lee Vining.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tioga pass drive

By all means, do it. The direction you are going puts you on the inside, against the hill (not the cliff) The road has many turnouts and a very wide shoulder.

Have a great Holiday and enjoy your ride. Definitely go for Whoa Nelli Deli, we love a trip over the hill for the caesar steak wrap! Fish tacos get good feedback too as does most everything!

Have oodles of fun!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tioga pass drive

Heading west from Lee Vining you will have nothing scary at all. You will be on the "inside", next to the mountain, and far from the edge. The views will open up in front of you as you climb, and you will be amazed at the beauty.

The road is side and well-graded, with broad turns, not tight and twisty. You do need to watch for rocks that have rolled down into the roadway, but the driving itself is not at all difficult.

Philadelphia area
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: tioga pass drive

The Tioga Road is one of the most scenic roads in the U.S. After driving down 395 from Reno you should be used to driving on highways in the mountains (probably somewhat slower going up the pass). Driving over Tioga will also give you access to Tuolumne Meadows, my favorite part of Yosemite. You can enjoy the views hiking around the meadows and up the forks of the Tuolumne River. Depending on when you arrive in June, you may also be able to find lodging at the Tuolumne Lodge (tent cabins).

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: tioga pass drive

As of right now, there are NO vacancies at Tuolumne Meadows for any day in June or July, and one islated night in August.

You must make reservations if you are staying in the park. As they have closed some accomodations in Camp Curry due to rockfall danger, there is even more demand for in-park accomodations.

The tented cabins book up a year in advance. I got my reservations last summer.