We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

USA
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

I cam across a menu of theirs with prices. The menu was about 3 year ago. Sandwiches are $14!! Is this right? I keep reading that people must make a stop here but as the price of gas increases, I can't see myself spending $14 for a sandwich. Can somebody please post what they ordered, how much you paid and was it really worth it spending that much?

Thanks.

LA
Level Contributor
10,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

I think it's worth it.

2. Re: Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2009, 12:54
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

You don't go there for the sandwiches.

I had the fish tacos and my husband ordered the herb-crusted pork tenderloin. Everything was yummy. I don't remember what it cost, but it seemed reasonable.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

Virtually anything you order there will provide you with at least 2 meals, so the cost is actually half since the gargantuan portions serve 2 people. Delicious food but way too much (not cost, but quantity)!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,575 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

Sal is right.

We always share.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

I stopped in there about 2 weeks ago, and took a glance at the menu. Many items were $16. I bring my own food, so seldom get food there. I saw one guy getting a hot dog.... LOL.

If you think the food is expensive, check out the gas prices. The prices for fuel is about 40 cents higher/gallon than the west side of Yosemite.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,472 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

Hmmmm.

It's been awhile since I was there, and I don't recall what the prices were when I was last there.

There aren't hordes of gourmet options around. Whoa Nellie has garnered a terrific reputation and a loyal following, and I hope success is not spoiling them. It would be too bad if they killed the golden goose by getting greedy.

As I said, gourmet options aren't that common in the Eastern Sierra, but here are a few other possibilities. I have eaten at most of them, although there's never any guarantee from month to month.

South of Coleville: Meadowcliff Lodge, a resort with a small restaurant open for B/L only. Comfort food type items, and a tranquil rural atmosphere at the foot of a sheer granite cliff, with cow pastures all around.

At Walker: Mountain BBQ and Walker Burger, both funky rustic places with simple, good eats.

Bridgeport has several choices. The historic Bridgeport Inn has B/L/D and could be classified as fine dining for dinner.

Lee Vining has a pizza place, Niceley's coffee shop (despite some bad reviews, I've never had a bad meal there), and Tioga Lodge north of town on 395, which is another restored historic property.

June Lakes, Mammoth, and Bishop have lots of choices. North of Bishop is Tom's Place, a rustic resort with a restaurant serving big portions of comfort food like burgers, salads, fish & chips, prime rib, etc. It's like stepping into a fishing lodge.

Yosemite / Sierra...
Level Contributor
560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

Food is fabulous and plentiful and well worth it IMHO. It is not just a sandwich like a normal sandwich - it's a meal...period. And from the popularity of this place, I am not alone with my opinion. It is the best thing going on the "east side".

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

I was just there two weeks ago. Sandwiches can indeed be $14. Hamburgers for instance. But goodness it was a big hamburger and it was a very good hamburger (and I think it was actually less than $14...feel like it was $11 which included fries). As far as quality of food, the Whoa Nellie Deli can't be beat. It's also...well...the thing to do...locals go there a fair amount and sometimes they have live music. Whoa Nellie Deli is a treat for me, who lives sort of in the area...I wouldn't eat there on a regular basis because of the prices. Every time I walk in there I gasp at the prices, suck it up and buy something (to split with a friend), and always walk away super pleased.

BUT, I will second the recommendation of Nicelys for some solidly good food (not out of this world or necessarily memorable, but it definitely does the job). I also went to Bodie Mike's BBQ which is right next door to Nicelys. Good sized burger, pretty decent ingredients, for average prices. I'd recommend it. I think it was $9 for a bacon cheeseburger with fries/macaroni salad...and the macaroni salad was the only thing I didn't like. Balancing out cost/quality of food, I think the BBQ place actually beats Whoa Nellie out...even tough they definitely had the better burger.

You might try looking the deli up on yelp to see a range of reviews/opinions and a few folks list prices in their reviews.

You don't HAVE to go to the Mobil Station (the deli). But I won't lie...it can be tasty. Better yet though, take a picnic lunch with you and go hang out by Mono Lake, or Ellery Lake or Tioga Lake right outside the Yosemite boundary.

YOu will have a grand time whatever you decide to do. The eastern Sierra is an awesome place to be.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whoa Nellie Deli's prices

Had a good veggie pizza there last Nov and it was very reasonable. Locally brewed beer was $4 out of a plastic cup.. Is this $14 sandwich like an exotic sandwich? Like a sword-fish sandwich or something?