We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Tour?

Mint Hill, North...
Level Contributor
105 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Tour?

Have many of you done the parks "Grand Tour"? It states that it is an all day tour with stops at all the major highlights of the park. Is it a good way to get the most out of our time due to the crowds? There is also an option for lunch to be included...Do they have some type of boxed lunch or is it a coupon to go stand in the long lines for lunch? I like the thought of getting to the park early and parking, then letting someone who knows their way around do the driving. It seems like we would save time since we are only there for one day but we do what a little of free time. We will be there the end of this month.

Thanks for you feedback:-)

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Tour?

Good morning Imonthego,

There are folks who love the tours for all the reasons you list and more. This particular one is 8 hours long with about 4 of those hours driving hours from the valley down to Mariposa Grove with a side trip to Glacier Point and back to the valley. We like the occassional tour for the additional background you pick up in the oral presentations that you can't get by just walking around. I believe the price is $86 and thought the lunch was included. Perhaps that has changed. 209-372-0200, option #6 will get you to Delaware North, the company that run the tours.

There is also the 2 hour valley tour that is $26 that may just fit your needs perfectly, leaving you free time to re-explore some of the locations you were introduced to on the shorter tour.

Have a great holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,000 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
539 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Tour?

I personally feel that going to the Mariposa Grove isn't worth the long drive. If I had only one day to spend in Yosemite, after the valley, I would go to Tuolumne Meadows, where you can see a lot of beautiful lakes, Olmstead Point, Cathedral Peak, etc. Or maybe just go up to Glacier Point and do the brief hike to Sentinel Dome and/or Taft Point. The trees at the Mariposa Grove are far from unique. The more impressive sequoias are in Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park.

Mentioned in this post
Tuolumne Meadows
Tuolumne Meadows
483 Reviews
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,000 Reviews
Sentinel Dome
Sentinel Dome
640 Reviews
Taft Point
Taft Point
270 Reviews
3. Re: Grand Tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2010, 06:17