We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite Lodging ~ Wawona or Yosemite Lodge at the Falls?

Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
59 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite Lodging ~ Wawona or Yosemite Lodge at the Falls?

Hi to All, I recently posted about visiting San Francisco and Yosemite, perhaps adding other places as well. Well, I believe we have decided to concentrate on these 2 areas for this trip. We have friends that did a whirlwind loop tour and felt they didn't have enough time to explore each spot, being SF, Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon, and Big Sur. Although we would like to see all, we also like to explore an area more in depth. This is still on the table, but now my question is about lodging in Yosemite. July 2010 our boys will be 15 and 13. We love hiking (no cliffs please) and such but like to stay in comfort when sleeping.

My question is, since I went online to reserve, there are several lodging options available and I would like your opinions since you are all ever so helpful. Which would you recommend:

Yosemite Lodge at the Falls Lodge Room

Wawona Room Private Bath

There is also a very expensive option which we couldn't do, and also tent cabins but would rather 4 walls and a private bath.

Thank you! :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,348 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite Lodging ~ Wawona or Yosemite Lodge at the Falls?

The advantage of Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is its location. Right in the middle of Yosemite Valley, close to Yosemite Falls. This makes it very convenient to see the sights of Yosemite Valley and start hikes, bike rides and whatever activities you want to do. The disadvantage of Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is its location. Right in the middle of the most crowded part of the park (except maybe Curry Village is more crowded).

The Wawona hotel is in the southern part of the park, about a 30 to 45 minute drive from Yosemite Valley. There is a free shuttle bus in the summer which takes visitors from Wawona to Yosemite Valley in the morning, and back to Wawona in the afternoon. It only makes one run each way each day.

The Wawona hotel has a small golf course next to it, the only golf course within a national park as far as I know. The Wawona area has more of the look and feel of a mountain resort rather than a national park. But it's relatively quiet and peaceful and a good respite from the crowds and hubbub of Yosemite Valley. It is also close to the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias and there is a free shuttle bus from Wawona to that grove.

Neither the Lodge or Wawona hotel is near Tioga Road or the Tuolumne Meadows area of the park, so if you want to visit that area you will have to drive or take a YARTS bus. http://yarts.com

In July, the park is crowded, temperatures can be quite hot, especially in Yosemite Valley and lower elevations, mosquitoes are a big problem, the famous waterfalls are getting thin or even dry, and thunderstorms are a real possiblity. Late May and early June are better times to visit the park, for those reasons.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite Lodging ~ Wawona or Yosemite Lodge at the Falls?

Do stay at the lodge. You are right in the center of the Valley and you will have to do no extra driving. Plus for your boys the bike rentals are there, good affordable food in the Food Court, and a great swimming pool where you can float on your back and look up at Yosemite Falls (I would have no hesitation with letting the boys be anywhere around the lodge on their own during the day. You can walk around the back to the Swinging Bridge swimming hole in the Merced. You are right on the shuttle bus route to everything in the Valley.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite Lodging ~ Wawona or Yosemite Lodge at the Falls?

I too would recommend Yosemite Lodge due to its location.

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite Lodging ~ Wawona or Yosemite Lodge at the Falls?

Yep, Lodge! Location and multiple dining options from the valley. Wawona only has their dining room, which is fine, but limited to just that.

Have a great trip!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,992 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite Lodging ~ Wawona or Yosemite Lodge at the Falls?

For a first time visit to Yosemite, the Lodge makes more sense than the Wawona hotel.

I wouldn't abandon the idea of Camp Curry, they have more than canvas tents and the canvas tents are actually kind of cool.

6. Re: Yosemite Lodging ~ Wawona or Yosemite Lodge at the Falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 06:17