We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Awahnee Dining Room

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, VA
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Awahnee Dining Room

Hello,

We are planning our trip to Yosemite and considering our dining options. Has anyone eaten at the Awahnee Dining Room? Although a wonderful location, it seems to be on the pricey side for us, and I was wondering if it is worth it or if we would get the same food at one of the other restaurants in Yosemite? Thanks for your input.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,913 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Awahnee Dining Room

No, you won't get anything like the same food at other park restaurants. I think the closest in quality to the Ahwahnee is the Mountain Room - which is quite good and somewhat less expensive. The Mountain Room seems to always serve up a good steak for the carnivores, but is less imaginative for the non-meat-eaters, if that makes a difference. It usually has a very good fish dish.

Besides those two restaurants, I can't think of anything else in the Valley that isn't more or less fast food like.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Awahnee Dining Room

You can also eat in the bar at the Ahwahnee or on the outdoor patio next to the bar - a great spot on a sunny day. Only the first 10 tables of the patio have food service though. Not the same menu as in the dining room, but good for a lunch. A lunch for two cost us $37 for the same food that would cost about $20 in an average big city bistro. So you're paying for the location, but it's quiet and pretty out there on the patio. Squirrels run by with hopeful looks.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Awahnee Dining Room

There is more to than just the food and the price of the food. I still remember my first time eating in the dining room with the Awahnee atmosphere, wonderful service, food, and live piano music way back in the early 1970's. Thousands of other meals are just a blur.

Yosemite / Sierra...
Level Contributor
560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Awahnee Dining Room

The food at the Ahwahnee gets mixed reviews. You go for the atmosphere, not the food. I always recommend having lunch in the Ahwahnee Dining Room but not dinner. That way you can take in the views out the wonderful windows. Too dark to do that most of the year during dinner.

Enjoy your visit!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Awahnee Dining Room

Why not make every meal a picnic lunch or picnic dinner somewhere in the world's best park. For example maybe a hike to Elizabeth Lake, then you could eat here:

http://i39.tinypic.com/zjwi20.jpg

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Awahnee Dining Room

You can enjoy the regal spirit of dining at the Ahwahnee over lunch where the prices are far more reasonable. The ambiance is enhanced because you can see the views outside the windows during the day. The later dinner seatings, it is dark.

Enjoy your trip!

7. Re: Awahnee Dining Room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park