We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

Hi

As part of our late June/early July road trip, we are fortunate to have one night's accommodation in Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. However, I've just realised that their check in time is not until 5:00pm and this really messes our plans. We'll be arriving at Yosemite from Modesto, so we should be there in the late morning/early afternoon. I'd planned to drive to Glacier Point and then down into the Valley, where we could dump our luggage and spend a few hours exploring by shuttle. However, if we can't get into our lodging until 5:00pm, that means wasted hours hanging around with our luggage! The next morning, we will be off over the Tioga Pass to Death Valley - so a long drive and an early start.

I'm now wondering whether we wouldn't, in fact, we better off with lodging outside of the Park (Groveland perhaps).

Any thoughts? And has anybody stayed at the Lodge and been able to check into their room before 5:00pm? Many thanks.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

Why can't you leave your luggage in the car while you ride the shuttle around the Valley?

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

Ditto Pacific.

But if you are thinking of security, ask if they have a holding room where you can check your luggage inside, under lock and key for the day while you tour about. Most hotels have this service for exactly your purpose, either early arrival, or late departure.

Have a great holiday. The drive from Yosemite via Tioga Pass to DV is some of the best scenery in the world.

L

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

Hi Pacific and HotelCharlotte - thanks for your replies.

We would rather not leave the luggage in the car, as we're renting a mini van (there'll be 5 of us) and the luggage will be 'on show'. If they have a left luggage place, that would be great. I can't see any information about this on their website though - does anybody know?

Thanks again.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

Hi,

I have checked in early many times at the Curry Village cabins. Sometimes the room was ready and sometimes we had to come back in an hour or so after they cleaned it but I never had to wait until actual check-in time. In fact actual check in time in Curry is soooo... crowded it is a real bummer so I would do my best to get there early to avoid the hassel. In Curry they would let you check-in and pay and then come back for the key. I never asked about having them hold bags but most hotels with bell service do. I have done this at other hotels and they would even put your bags in your room when it became available. Be sure to tip for the extra effort :)

Good luck, it will work out, I wouldn't stress too much about it.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,604 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

Normally I am really mindful about not having anything visible in the car when I leave it too, but Yosemite is one of the places that I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. Lots of cars will have people's gear inside - people often park their cars in Yosemite Valley and leave them for several days while they are on backpacking trips. In June/July there will be tons of people around.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

We often arrive at a hotel, and have in various places, well before check-in time. If a room is ready they give it to us, if not they keep our luggage in a secure place for us while we go about our sightseeing or whatever.

We have never been refused this service. I think it is a given.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

Wow thieves would have to drive all the way into the park, pay the $20 fee and risk gettng caught doing a burglary on federal land during a busy time when peopel are all over. Would getting Bobby & Janie's tennis shoes really be worth it?

There is so much gear in Yosemite that is not in a locked car, like all the people tent camping and Housekeeping too. I wouldn't even think twice about leaving my stuff in my locked car for a couple of hours in July.

You can ask the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls to store your luggage for you however.

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

Thanks guys!

I know, I know - I'm paranoid about the luggage ... but you've all helped to put my mind at rest. I WAS tempted to cancel the Lodge at the Falls bookings and move to Cedar Lodge, El Portal ....

I might email the Yosemite Lodge to ask about luggage storage - but I think we'll be ok. :)

I will try to stop stressing!

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

Good morning Moo

You can also call them. 209-372-0200 has a list of "if you want to talk to us about.....press some number". Delaware north is #6. You should be able to get a live person.

Have a great trip.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosemite Lodge 5:00pm check in

I was also wondering about how much felxibility Yosemitie Lodge allow for the 5pm check in? Or for the facility to leave luggage with them while the roooms are prepared.

For my visit I'm arriving by coach around 2pm and would ideally like to drop of by bags as soon as possible.