We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mist trail this week-end?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
Mist trail this week-end?

How far can one go up this mist trail this week-end? At least to the Vernal Falls footbridge, I hope (without special equipment)?

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mist trail this week-end?

Vernal Fall footbridge should not be a problem this weekend. The Mist Trail itself is closed for rock/ice fall danger. You will see people hopping the gate because they think it's closed for ice on the trail itself. Don't do it.

I chatted with someone who made it to the top of Nevada Fall this week, but they said there were at least 3 major spots of old snow that had frozen over, that were very difficult to cross. I've chatted with a few others who told me there was no way to get past those spots.

Have and be safe whatever trail you do!

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mist trail this week-end?

I wanted to leave an interesting update to my post. So we went up to the point where the mist trail was blocked by a gate/sign which said not to proceed due to risk of rockfall. Hundreds of people were bypassing the gate. I spoke with a small group of people who were coming in from the spur leading to the John Muir Trail, and they said they had gone up the Mist Trail and made the mistake of going down the John Muir Trail. They said the latter was dangerous due to icy conditions, but that there was no difficult whatsoever going up the Mist Trail. Like probably thousand of others, we therefore went up the Mist Trail (which I have seen mistier). Shame, shame on the NPS for diverting visitors to a more hazardous trail!

BTW, we also drove to Foresta Falls (we have AWD), and, never having seen these falls before, I was really blown away by how beautiful they were, which was especially impressive since one can drive right up to it and feel the full force of the falls. Since Ann Marie Brown only gave it 7/10 in her book, I wasn't prepared for their beauty. I can only imagine she never came during a full Springtime flow...

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,893 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mist trail this week-end?

This website gives Foresta Falls only two stars: yosemitehikes.com/hetch-hetchy/foresta-falls… Driving & hiking directions are included.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mist trail this week-end?

Yes, both that site and Ann Marie Brown don't give it very high ratings, but I wanted to share that, at least last week-end, it was really spectacular. I don't know how long it stays that way. The flow was many times greater than that shown in the picture on the link. It was actually spraying forward in jets over the bridge which crosses the creek just downstream. That website is correct that if you don't have 4WD or AWD, it's an easy hike down the dirt portion of the road. This seems to be, at least in season, an unknown hidden gem one get up-close and personal without a big effort and with few crowds.

5. Re: Mist trail this week-end?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 05:17