We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vegas to yosemite

england
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
vegas to yosemite

Hi, we will be travelling from vegas to yosemite in mid august. i like the sound of death valley ( as do kids age 10 and 8) . I know it's a long way so plan to stop somewhere. Can you recommend anywhere for a night. I have seen Amargosa Opera house which looks really fun but I 'm not sure if this is far enough along the route . ( I gather only 2 hrs from Vegas). Thnaks for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vegas to yosemite

Keep in mind that Death Valley averages 113 F (45 C) for the daily high in August and that's just the average, if there is a heat wave it could be higher. I would make the crossing through Death Valley in the very early morning or evening, to avoid the searing heat of the afternoon.

There are many great places to see and things to do along the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada mountains, starting from Lone Pine north up to Lee Vining, where you would turn off Highway 395 onto Highway 120 to go up to Yosemite. The towns along the 395 are still going to be pretty warm in August, not as hot as Death Valley, but even Lone Pine may be 100 F in the afternoon. Once you get up to about Mammoth Lakes the elevation is higher so it will be cooler.

There is so much to see and do you could spend an entire day in that area. Some web sites that can help you decide what to see and do include http://395.com , http://thesierraweb.com , http://easternsierra.us/ , http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/ , and http://jrabold.net/mammoth/

Mammoth Lakes would be one possible choice for an overnight stay, since there would be some recreational opportunities for the kids in that area. Further north, the very old, basic Silver Lake Resort is located in a gorgeous setting, has good food in the restaurant, and would mean you were well-positioned to start up into Yosemite the next day. http://www.silverlakeresort.net/

Gas up well in Lee Vining before going up the 120 into Yosemite, as gas is more expensive within the park. Many people buy food at the Whoa Nellie Deli, inside the Mobil gas station at the intersection of the 395 and 120, and bring it up into the park for a picnic lunch or dinner. Sandwiches are $10, dinners $20, pizza $25, but it's about the best food in that area, and a picnic lunch in Tuolumne Meadows would be a great way to start your Yosemite adventure.

Mentioned in this post
Sierra Nevada
Sierra Nevada
7 Reviews
California
Lone Pine
Lone Pine
California Desert, CA
Lee Vining
Lee Vining
California
Mammoth Lakes
Mammoth Lakes
California
Tuolumne Meadows
Tuolumne Meadows
483 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,119 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vegas to yosemite

I see from your other posts that you'll be visiting several National Parks. In case it hasn't been suggested yet, an America the Beautiful Interagency Pass might save you some money. Purchase it at your first National Park stop.

National Park Entrance Fees

Seven day pass

---Yosemite: $20

---Grand Canyon: $25

---Bryce Canyon: $25

---Zion: $25

---Death Valley: $20

America the Beautiful Interagency Pass: $80 for one year; http://store.usgs.gov/pass/index.html

*Provides entrance or access to pass holder and accompanying passengers in a single, private, non-commercial vehicle at Federally operated recreation sites across the country.

*Covers the pass holder and three (3) accompanying adults age 16 and older at sites where per person entrance fees are charged. No entry fee for children 15 and under.”

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vegas to yosemite

bw has a bias against Death Valley in the summer. :) But if you and the kids really want to see it, I'd suggest doing more than a quick drive-through. There is a lot to see.

The Amargosa Hotel and Opera House would be fun, but especially in summer, more suited to adults or hard-core history enthusiasts. It's a historic hotel in a quaint little ghost town, but there is very little in the way of amenities. E.g., no pool, which you'll definitely want. There is a small cafe and no gas station, store, or any other services in the town, and the Opera House is dark in the summer.

Furnace Creek Ranch or Stovepipe Wells Village would be a better choice in summer for families. They are full-service resorts with pools, other recreation options, restaurants, and stores.

Come to the DVNP and DVJ forums and browse through the threads there, and maybe you'll get a better idea of whether you want to spend some time in the park. It is directly in the way between Las Vegas and Yosemite, so there is definitely no issue of making a big detour. Be sure to read the threads about staying safe and healthy. :)

Mentioned in this post
Fullerton
Level Contributor
546 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vegas to yosemite

I really have to agree with BW on this one -- Death Valley in August is really hot - dangerously hot. Best be prepared with plenty of water in the car and a darn good cellphone in case you have a car problem.

Spring is a far better time to visit this area.

Mentioned in this post
LA
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: vegas to yosemite

There is NO cellphone coverage in Death Valley.

Do not drive off road.

Better yet, save Death Valley for spring or fall months when you can actually explore and enjoy it. Otherwise, it becomes a rather stupid tourist trick to visit in August.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vegas to yosemite

The OP is in England. Coming to California may be a once-in-a-lifetime dream trip. In some countries, people have to take their vacations from work in the summer.

Spring would be more ideal, but if there isn't any way they can do that, and if they really want to see it, they should take the opportunity. They should check out all the threads on the Death Valley forums so they know what to anticipate.

Mentioned in this post
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vegas to yosemite

We have 'done' Death Valley in the Summer a couple of times,yes it is hot but we've never found it to be an uncomfortable heat,the place is spectacular & just driving through it is a crime IMO,you have to spend at least a couple of nights to do it justice(& appreciate the stunning display of stars at night).

We have stayed at the Furnace Creek Ranch both times,lovely place,fabulous pool that the kids will love,just be sensible with the heat.

As many other people we have no choice when to take our main vacation,I would much rather travel to Death Valley that time of year than Florida which thousands of Brits do,the heat in DV IMO is that much more bearable,living in a sauna 24/7 as in Florida really isn't for me,as Furnace Creek has been full on both our visits I guess we're not the only ones who don't consider it to be dangerously hot,I'm sure that term could apply to a lot of places if you're not sensible!

Mentioned in this post
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vegas to yosemite

I simply cannot believe that anyone here is recommending to take kids to Death Valley in the summer. That is very cruel and I would consider it child abuse. Take kids to the beach or up in the mountains during the summer, not to Death Valley. There's a reason it is called Death Valley.

Mentioned in this post
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vegas to yosemite

It's called Death Valley for a reason yes,the reason appears to be from many years ago when people had scant idea of these sort of conditions,no available advice & no way of counteracting it,many people do take kids there in the Summer.

Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,119 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vegas to yosemite

Many years ago we drove across the country & back from the temperate Pacific Northwest. We stopped in St Louis one day in July and visited their zoo, but just for the "cooler" morning. By noon, it was too hot & humid. My daughter lay on the grass and just cried, she was so hot. When she saw families headed into the Zoo, she sobbed, "someone should arrest those parents for child abuse." We still laugh about her proclamation, but we also know she'll never be able to live anywhere hot.

We're spoiled here with mild weather. And I think bw loves the mild shorts-wearing weather of San Diego. Yet many other people live in places with more temperature extremes and manage quite well.

I'd love to visit DV in the summer. Our April visit was actually too cold for us. But I'd probably spend the heat of the day in the pool or napping in an air-conditioned room. In the cool night hours we'd go out to the Sand Dunes and watch for nocturnal creatures!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California