We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite vs Kings Canyon with a baby

Sunny Cali
Level Contributor
100 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite vs Kings Canyon with a baby

I've been to Yosemite about 15 years ago & remember it as being beautiful (and hot and crowded). We've never been to Kings Canyon & are trying to decide between the 2 destinations.

I'd love to hear your opinions & experiences. We have a few things to consider in our decision. ...

* We have time off June 21-28 & it will probably be hot

* We're bringing our 1 year old baby. She doesn't walk yet so we'll need a clean place to stay- with clean carpeting.

* We also prefer air con since she'll need to take a couple of naps during the day.

* We'd love to see waterfalls & beautiful scenery- they'll have to be short hikes (less than 2 miles) or trails a stroller can go on. Would the scenery be completely different between Yosemite & Kings Canyon?

* Areas to swim & get in the water for baby

Is this too much to ask? We're willing to compromise on some of these.

Thanks!

Edited: 04 June 2010, 21:56
chicago
Level Contributor
8,405 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite vs Kings Canyon with a baby

i just stayed at tenaya with a one year old, it was a good room, very childproofed, nice crib, pool and small playground

LA
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite vs Kings Canyon with a baby

Definately Yosemite, and Yosemite Lodge would be another great choice if you can get a reservation (cancellations do happen time to time). Rooms are clean (and cool, I think.. never stayed there in summer), and you can go back to your room from the falls for your nap times very easily.

We've been taking both of our kids to both places since they were infants. The views are really different between the two parks. The trees in sequoia are no doubt impressive and the deep U valley of Kings Canyon also, but I tend to think that Kings Canyon is more impressive for mountain lover, where Yosemite is simply IMPRESSIVE for everyone. I would choose Yosemite over Sequoia/Kings for family vacation, day hikes/ shorter walks, and views from the road/lodging. I would choose Sequoia only for big trees and Kings Canyon for back country, backpacking or camping. Since the latters are impossible for you with one year old, I would definately say Yosemite. Unless the crowd factor is huge for you. But then, with a little effort, it's not too difficult to get away from the crowd in Yosemite either. As for water, I think it would be too cold in both places.

BTW, I would suggest that you invest in a good child carrier backpack. It will open up so much more options for you. Both of our kids loved it. They are very comfortalbe for the baby (if you get a good one), and you can also use them in your daily city life as well. (It's the best thing to go to the zoo with later when he/she is little older). The dad will feel like the best dad bearing the weight for the family... (I still carry my 4 yr old on some of tougher trails)

I wonder if you post the same question in Kings Canyon forum.... I think you would get similar feedbacks=) Have fun~!

Edited: 05 June 2010, 08:36
chicago
Level Contributor
8,405 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite vs Kings Canyon with a baby

i agree, a backpack carrier is a must buy!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite vs Kings Canyon with a baby

Having stayed at Yosemite about 4 years ago & Sequoia last year I'm going to have to be different & say that,yes Yosemite was magnificent but for some reason we found Sequoia even more impressive,could be because we managed to find more peaceful places there which suited us fine.

As for heat,it's a crazy world sometimes,yes 4 years ago August in Yosemite was hot,last year in August we passed through on our way to Sequoia in blizzard conditions from Tioga until about half way thru the park!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
44 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite vs Kings Canyon with a baby

I'll echo what hjldennis said about Kings vs Sequoia vs Yosemite. We have two small children, ages 1 and 3, and we just visited both parks this past week. We don't let our small children hold us back too much, though I do select shorter hikes than I normally would. Backpack carrier is a must, but if baby is still small enough, you can get by with the front-loading carriers. We have and bring both. Besides, you do get quite a few comments from hikers in awe as they see you lugging your kids up trails like the Mist Trail...should give mom and dad encouragement if you need any :)

If I had to choose between parks with small children, I would definitely choose Yosemite. There are more trails that are friendly to all ages, strollers included. About areas to swim, the water will still be pretty chilly when you visit because of the huge amount of snow that is still yet to melt, though the air should be warm when you visit. However, we did let our kids play in the water at the shore of Mirror Lake and they enjoyed it...just have to not let them play too long.

6. Re: Yosemite vs Kings Canyon with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2010, 06:29