We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foresta to DVNP , how long should this drive take?

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Foresta to DVNP , how long should this drive take?

We will be staying in Foresta and then driving to DVNP (end of June). How long should we expect this drive to be? Is Mono Lake very far off the beaten path to visit when we get to Lee Vining area?

Trying to determine if we should add a night on the way to DV.

TIA!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foresta to DVNP , how long should this drive take?

I'd add a night - there's a lot to see (like Mt Whitney near Lone Pine). Mono Lake is definitely worth seeing.

Will you have already explored the Tuolumne region? If not, there's an awful lot to see there (Olmsted Point at the very least).

Anyway, it's about 7 hours to Stovepipe Wells without stopping for food or gas, much less sightseeing.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,540 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foresta to DVNP , how long should this drive take?

Here is the (no stops) mileage chart. Foresta is sort of on the way to DV from the Valley. nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf I would also "vote" for a stop along the way.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foresta to DVNP , how long should this drive take?

There are so many things to see and do between Foresta and Death Valley that I would recommend 2 or even 3 nights between the two. Realistically, you wouldn't be able to see all of these on one trip, but here is a list of the major sights and stops. (Assuming you have already seen all you want of Yosemite Valley, I won't include that on this list.)

Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias. Siesta Lake. Yosemite Creek. Olmstead Point. Tenaya Lake. Cathedral Peak area. Tuolumne Meadows. Pothole Dome or Lembert Dome. Tioga Pass. Ellery Lake. Bodie State Park (ghost town). Mono Lake. Hoover Wilderness. June Lake Loop. Silver Lake Resort. Ansel Adams Wilderness. Mono Craters. Devil's Punch Bowl. Obsidian Dome. Mammoth Lakes Loop. Devil's Postpile National Monument. Red's Meadow. Rainbow Falls. Inyo Craters. Mammoth Mountain. Convict Lake. Tom's Place. Rock Creek Lake Resort. John Muir Wilderness. Bishop. Laws Railroad Museum. Bishop Creek Canyon. Erik Schat's Bakery. Mountain Light Photography. Aspendell. Big Pine. Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. Glacier Lodge. Independence. Eastern California Museum. Seven Pines. Onion Valley. Manzanar National Historic Site. Lone Pine. Alabama Hills. Whitney Portal. Mount Whitney. Museum of Lone Pine Film History.

And there are many others. You could spend a week in this region and still not see everything. So I would take your time and enjoy the trip slowly and discover some of the off-the-beaten path places. The eastern side of the Sierra Nevada mountains offers dramatic mountain scenery, as the Sierras rise up slowly on the west side and drop off sharply on the east side. If it lacks the giant sequoia trees of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks and the colossal waterfalls and sheer granite cliffs of Yosemite, it more than makes up for it in dramatic mountain views, lakes, rivers, forests, wildlife and historic sights. And it is generally a lot less crowded than the national parks on the west side.

Edited: 25 July 2010, 02:00
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foresta to DVNP , how long should this drive take?

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We will add a night outside the park before heading to DVNP. So many choices! Now it is a question of where...mono lake area or mammoth area...

if Mono lake, I was looking at either the Tioga Pass Resort or Lakeview Lodge...how do they compare? Would like to be on the lake if possible.

5. Re: Foresta to DVNP , how long should this drive take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 06:16